IGNORED

1970 Z432 For Sale - California

gundee

2 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

The numbers speak for themselves, the reason you won't address those numbers is because they prove my case and not yours.

The only numbers that speak is the cash someone parts with to own one. Your reasoning, however valid, idealistic or delusional, is moot and holds precisely zero relevance to those that own or aspire to own a Z432.

The market is the market for reasons beyond reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That Ozzy Guy said:

The only numbers that speak is the cash someone parts with to own one. Your reasoning, however valid, idealistic or delusional, is moot and holds precisely zero relevance to those that own or aspire to own a Z432.

The market is the market for reasons beyond reason.

The price of what these cars are going for is really not that important, what is important is to cut through the BS and focus on the facts and not the spin. This car in particular suffers from serious spin.

Very true about the market.

16 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

You know the performance numbers of these cars as well as anyone, perhaps better, yet you keep going on about diamond rings, oil paintings and bubble jet printers. The numbers speak for themselves, the reason you won't address those numbers is because they prove my case and not yours.

Your case? It seems to be one of repeated miscomprehension and lack of imagination.

You talk about "the numbers". Here are a few other 432 numbers for you to juggle with: 5, 192, 6, 15.1, 400, 25. There's some fun to be had in guessing what they refer to in this context. Here's a clue: Your 'NA 240Z' didn't have them. 

But of course, if you focus only on "the numbers" you miss the point. Sorry but it's something that you either get or you don't. As xs10shl pointed out, somewhere out there in the ether there's a plain vanilla 911E owner protesting that his car isn't all that much different than the 911 RS changing hands for twenty times more. Surely that 911E owner doesn't need to be told that it's not all about "the numbers"?  When someone buys a 911RS they are not simply buying a set of performance figures. When you give a girl a diamond ring, you're not just giving her a stone.

So you're saying that - given the free choice - you'd give her the paste over the diamond?    

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blue said:

btw my equation still holds:

$225k = $25k for the S30 and $200k for the engine and badges. :pow:

So the self-styled "Ultimate Z Junkie" thinks that a 432 is all about an engine and a set of badges?

Actually you might be lucky enough - if you put the effort into it - to find a proper 432-variant S20 engine for a lot less than your quoted $200k. About $50k might suffice, but you've still got a very long shopping list to fill (because a 432 isn't just an engine and a set of badges...). Part Number One is a genuine PS30 unibody, chassis number and papers, and that's going to cost you a lot more than your quoted $25k. If you're looking for an S30 you're looking for the wrong thing. If I'm mistaken about that then I've unwittingly hit the jackpot with my car. 

So what's the Dollar figure for the history, kudos, romance and all those other nebulous properties that come with such machinery?

It's just a car dude. I have an S2000 that is worth $8000 that will do circles around the 432 and has one of the best hp/litre engines in the world for a plain old production car.  It puts a smile on my face driving just as much as getting a thumbs up when some one passes me in my Z.  Cars dude... just cars.

Does HS30 own #13?  What's funny here is that these conversations will probably become part of the car's provenance.  Might be degrading the value of his own car,and maybe even the value of all early Datsuns.  The type of owner affects the perception of the car.  Porsche owners are different from BMW owners are different from Range Rover owners.  Some interesting unintended consequences.  #13?  Don't want it, it was owned by that guy on classiczcars.com.

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Does HS30 own #13?  What's funny here is that these conversations will probably become part of the car's provenance.  Might be degrading the value of his own car,and maybe even the value of all early Datsuns.  The type of owner affects the perception of the car.  Porsche owners are different from BMW owners are different from Range Rover owners.  Some interesting unintended consequences.  #13?  Don't want it, it was owned by that guy on classiczcars.com.

I can't speak to ownership of #13, but in my experience, I've found the opposite largely to be true.  Cars that were once owned by known individuals knowledgeable about the marque tend to be worth a percentage more.  Cars owned by celebrities and dictators alike can be worth double.  And don't get me started on the many multiples over retail that people will pay for a car that was once owned by Steve McQueen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue said:

It's just a car dude. I have an S2000 that is worth $8000 that will do circles around the 432 and has one of the best hp/litre engines in the world for a plain old production car.  It puts a smile on my face driving just as much as getting a thumbs up when some one passes me in my Z.  Cars dude... just cars.

Honda S2000? Great. Good car.

Now all you need is a time machine so you can take it back to 1969 and put it into the relevant context.

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Have you been eating too much cheese before going to bed?

My point in bringing 'HLS30-00013' into the discussion was a (rhetorical) comparison regarding "the numbers". When 'HLS30-00013' was re-discovered/internet-publicised and discussed a few years back, somewhere among all the hyperbole mention was soon made of potential  value should the car ever come onto the open market. I think I'm correct in recalling that numbers well into six figures were being thrown around, and yet - in contrast with the 432 being discussed here - 'HLS30-00013' isn't really all that different than several hundred other 1969-built HLS30-prefixed cars, or several thousand 1970-built HLS30-prefixed cars. The "it's almost the same as..." argument doesn't work, does it?

Clearly the concept of 'value' is not solely about performance figures and/or relative content, and we still have not really got our teeth into the difference between the nebulous concept of 'value' vs the price...   

The point of this thread is commentary on the price of a 432 for sale.

The relevant point I am making is that they are all just cars to me. Go from point A to point B on 4 wheels and have some fun. Others may hold them on pedestals and apply value to intangibles  but to me they are pretty lumps of metal with wheels. In fact I get just as much fun worikng on them as I do looking at them or driving them.

• Mike locked this topic