IGNORED

Help! The Air Conditioner I Got Doesn't Fit My 280Z

Redwing

Hi...

I bought one of the kits for installing an Air Conditioner in my 1976 280Z, from Air Parts in Texas.  They said it would have "every item needed to install it", included in the box.  Unfortunately, now that it is installed, it apparently is the wrong item, as It does not fit correctly!   They are willing to pay the return shipping, and give a full refund.  We are looking for a different unit, now as we have to remove this one.   

So I am asking if anyone has had success placing an AC into a 1976 280 Z???   Including the radio in it's correct spot.  If you have, please tell me what brand and model unit you have used.  And any other specifics you might know to make this easier.

Thank you...

I have found a great mechanic who is willing to do the removal and placing a different AC in my car, for no added labor costs.  He said he just wants me to be ok with the job.  Amazing eh?  

Thank you,,,l     .:D

IMHO Your best bet would be to look for a donor junker and get a complete factory indash unit, you can get by with non factory compressor/condenser/drier, but for inside the factory evap seems the way to go. Sorry the aftermarket one did not work out for you.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure it would, I don't thing there were any real changes until the ZX from the 74-78. Certainly easier than trying to engineer a after market unit into place. There can still be issues of course, like a good evap and TVX, but that's just the way it is working on 40 year old cars. Did redbirds car ever have AC in it? I don't recall the history.

• Like 1

Dave WM

I'm not sure about previous AC. I'm sure that Sam,the fellow who is working on RedBird is very capable and would rather rebuild an orig unit than try this exercise in futility again.

Zed Head

Sam got the unit in but the radio sticks out about 2" Also on the first trial run home the AC blew cold but started warming up until it was useless. I don't know the miles, duration or ambient temperature but I don't think it took very long to stop cooling. Also, just for the record, I don't know much about AC, so if I sound ignorant, I am.

Jai should be reporting in soon. We'll know more then.

No answer on the 78 AC in Seattle yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Maras said:

Will a 78 AC unit work in the 76? There's an AC unit (I think is complete)  on Seattle Craigslist post # 5746157056. Sent him an email. This may be the one that Jai @Redwing can use. $70.00 takes all. @Dave WM

Hi Dave,

Yes, RedBird had a very non working AC unit in her when I got her.  Hoses were in the engine just laying there, not connected, and the compressor was open no caps on the hose connections. 

Mark,  Thank you for spotting the AC unit.  I'm  very interested.

Just now, Zed Head said:

What does "does not fit correctly" mean?  It's installed, so it must fit a little bit.  Just wondering.

Zed Head,

The unit is in but the modifications to allow it to be there are more than I want to deal with.   The slide control unit has to be taken out as the AC came with different controls totally.  A plate has to be installed to allow for the new controls to be used.   Then there is the radio.  The unit under the dash is so large that the radio no longer fits, it sticks out close to 2 1/2 inches.  All this just destroys the integrity of the dash control area.   That is more than I want to deal with.  Thanks...

20160825_175355.jpg

Edited by Redwing

Aaacck.  No more prizes for RedBird with that thing in there.

Since you had AC before all you really need is a good compressor, and system cleaning and purging, I think, assuming that your evaporator is intact.  I think a good AC shop could replace the seals to work with modern lubricants and you might be fine.  Post #8 looks promising, with capable Sam.  I see that I'm basically repeating what everyone has already suggested.

Old Datsun is often better than new.

• Like 2

that's right I forgot it had an AC before. Ok since the aftermarket did not work for sure just get a new compressor, prob drier, and condenser. I have an extra condenser (long story) that I can make a good deal on for you if yours is bad and you end up needing a OE type. FYI the condenser is generally where you are going to get leaks as its in harms way at the front of the car. I just hope nothing irreversible was done to the existing evap and ducting as part of the attempt a the aftermarket (I can see the aftermarket stuff installed where the orig controls were).

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1