IGNORED

theft prevention

sweatybetty

Cool. Thanks for the check. And props to you in that you certainly seem to have a great handle on the tracking and recovery part. Paired with some deterrent and prevention, it would provide formidable coverage.

The deterrent thing, however, can be a double edged sword. You can't plaster "Protected by Geosky" stickers all over the car because part of the tracking and recovery process includes some secrecy. Even if it is a respected system amongst thieves, it is certainly easier to defeat if it's not a surprise. In fact, there was some mention of jamming devices earlier in this thread... I didn't look into the existence, but being an EE, I can attest to the plausibility. If someone is casing the car and knows it has a cell or satellite based transponder in it, it just makes it easier to disable.

Big dogs, a siren, a huge chain to an immovable object, a fuel and/or ignition disable, AND your device. They would have to really really want that car.

Other ideas?
Stink bombs.
Iron Maiden played at volume 11.
Taser built into the driver's seat. Remotely activated, of course.
That "YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY" thing from Robocop...

Captain, we believe that keeping a low profile is essential, so no decals from us. We advise against giving a thief any beneficial info, deterrent or no deterrent...

what at we provide is the best opportunity to get your property back if it is stolen.

because sometimes chains dogs and starter disables are not enough...

• 4 months later...

I just posted some info on a company I found on a more recent post, and then I got interested in the idea and did another search and found this thread. I was exploring the idea this winter (on my winter project list) but also heard about the failures of the low-cost devices, and so I think something that can survive on it's own for a bit if the car is picked up by a wrecker is a good option. As others have pointed out, it also has to be global in case the car is taken overseas or just disappears. I don't think this is a big issue in MN yet, but as these cars become more valuable, leaving them on the street is going to get more and more tempting for people who know they can sell them quickly for an easy profit. (I do have a cut-off switch hidden on mine, but it'll be easy for someone to get around if they simply tow the vehicle somewhere and dig for it.)

Also, I wonder how easy it is now to "launder" these cars. You can buy VIN plates, for example...or just make your own. I've got a 1971 Series 1 (by a month), and I'd like to keep it, but dogs are too much work. So, in addition to the suggestion by rc240z, I'm going to look into this company: http://pocketfinder.com/gpsvehicletracker/.

I'll probably try something this summer and post about how it goes. If anyone else tries something, it would be a great thread for those of us looking to protect what we have.

A cursory glance at the other product you're looking at vs. GeoSky ALERT: it does not offer as good of tracking as we do, we update every 30 seconds or if your vehicle turns more than 3 degrees, they are every 60 seconds. Their unit has much smaller internal battery and does not have additional trigger inputs like our system has.

On the application side, it does not automatically configure Geo zones every time you park which ours does automatically, and does not notify you of a low battery either. AND it is more expensive.

Geosky provides historical information, a find me functionality, providing directions to your vehicle, and can be installed on multiple mobile devices. We include international coverage.

Geosky is also owned and operated by Datsun enthusiasts, I am one of the principals of the company.

feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Ron C

Edited by rc240z

HI Ron

On the Geosky are there any plans for outputs as well as inputs. Also Is there any provision for the software to report what input is in use? I'm thinking it would be nice to know if it's under it's own power or on a flatbed. A remote output would allow me to pop the tail gate discreetly. Let the bastards choke to death on exhaust fumes:)  

This is for Mike. It might not be practical but it would be nice if security ideas could be posted anonymously. It's seems counter productive to post my security methods when it is pretty easy for some of us to be doxed.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Ron, I do see that the products are different, so it looks like I need to do some more research before trying one out.

The Pocketfinder version looks simpler to me, and a lot easier to hide in a vehicle. It just needs power. Plus, I liked the long battery life (it does say it sends an alert if the main power is disconnected), so Derek you if something has happened in your scenario. BTW, I didn't think the cost ($300) was that high, especially if it works like it says--who knows, maybe it would reduce my insurance even. 

Ron, I totally understand your preference for your own company's product, but have you personally tried these devices out on your vehicles? I'm sure we'd be interested to know what you think.

Derek--another good option is to fabricate up that ejection seat! ;-) 

Dash cam and video upload would be nice.  I'm 99 percent sure that no one will break into my car and drive it away.  Car jacking or towing will be how it would happen. 

Would the ejection seat bother to pop the roof or just splat the driver. 

Z boy mn

i am familiar with the pocketfinder product. 

Ease of installation: ours can be installed as a two wire (power and ground) install just like their solution. Ours probably easier to install as we provide a connectorized wiring harness solution.

We have twice the size of battery in our unit compared with what they offer. They make a pretty hefty claim how long their unit will last on battery power.

Both solutions will provide a discount on your insurance.

GeoSky ALERT does more for less $$$ we outperform the Pocketfinder with more features better monitoring and are $40 to $50 less than they are!

We offer an internal and external antenna option which will give you unlimited mounting solutions, theirs does not...our unit is the size of a credit card and about an inch thick so slightly larger than theirs but not by much. I don't think you can call that an advantage. Since they only provide an internal antenna your mounting options are limited and reception for GPS is critical, install it in the wrong location and you will have issues with notifications (lack of cellular connectivity) and or precise location (poor GPS connectivity).

Most of all, we have already SAVED a 240Z from being stolen, look on our website www.geosksyalert.com!

Derek, we do have the capability to have outputs driven by the Ap, but there are liability issues that are hard to work around. Speedy notification, with quick action to recover and catch the thieves is the best reward.

Edited by rc240z

Derek,

Most Z cars are stolen by being broken into. It generally does not take much to break into one. Of course a tow truck is a potential issue.

Most thieves work in teams and are not frightened or even bothered by car alarms. Since they are accepted and ignored these days.

R

I can see where it would be a problem with stock Z cars and their electronics. Fortunately for me that is all gone and replaced with modern stuff. It's much easier to integrate anti theft methods into those electronics. Hence my confidence. I've been looking at trackers for a while. Having input is an absolute must for me and I understand the liability aspects of giving the unit output as well. Output would allow me to activate a dash cam and upload the video of the police chase. The money I make on youtube hits of the chase will fund my next hair brained project.

You FAQ is a little ambiguous on the IO.  

Does our system provide two programmable early warning inputs/outputs?

So they are inputs only? 

If my car is stolen do I call the cops and give them the real time data from the phone? You say in the FAQ that police forces can track without special equipment.

When does the unit send speed data to Geosky. Only when it's outside the geo fence or all the time. 

Sorry for all the questions but I've been really hot for one of these for a while. It got really confusing with all the different ones out there.  I kind of gave up and then this thread popped up.