IGNORED

Replacement Inner Rocker Panels

disepyon

10 hours ago, Namerow said:

Very nicely done (esp. the installation guide).  I think you're going to enjoy a fairly decent amount of trade from this.

Thanks, hope it helps out the community.

23 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Brent, I like the new site. If someone else hasn`t suggested it yet you might have a look at the battery tray area for a replacement panel, that area is a difficult to repair. It could be a big seller.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will for sure keep that in mind. I took the easy way out with my car and just filled in the rusted holes with weld and sanded back down, so I dont have a template already to go off of. But I wont let that stop me. Ill think of something.

59 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

If someone else hasn`t suggested it yet you might have a look at the battery tray area for a replacement panel, that area is a difficult to repair. It could be a big seller.

Ditto! I would look at two pieces, The battery tray itself and the compound curve area under the battery tray. It is fairly hard to fabricate with out a "wheel"

Brent,

I have a spare battery tray taken from a '72 if you need one for comparison and measurements. Z Car Depot is currently selling new battery trays in steel and stainless:

https://zcardepot.com/exterior/sheet-metal/battery-tray-bracket-stainless-steel-240z-260z-280z.html

https://zcardepot.com/exterior/sheet-metal/battery-tray-holder-sheet-metal-240z-260z-280z.html

There definitely isn't anyone fabricating the corner / firewall area!

Robert S.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Robert, hang on to that tray and thanks for offering it to me.  I may perhaps ask for it, but not anytime soon.

The tray itself is something I may end up making later on down the road. However the wheel well area underneath the battery tray would be a panel I will consider doing in the near future. You guys are right that this is a common heavy rusted area on almost all 70's Z's and nobody makes them.  Cant believe I didnt think much of this. Thanks to you guys and your ideas, it will happen.

I first want to finish getting the seat brackets dealt with (just about there), then front frame rails. Next on my list will be the passenger rear section wheel well underneath the battery tray.  

Charlie at Zedd Findings already makes the front frame rails. He also bought a set of the rocker replacements from you. Are you both going to be manufacturing the same parts now?
That is cool if you guys have an agreement, I just wouldn't like to see you guys have any issues in terms of offering similar parts to our small market...
Charlie's rails...
IMG_2148.JPG
I found his rails were good. They did not fit the front of the car like the factory rails in terms of the width. I posted about how they are wider than factory rails where the radiator sits. They also seemed to have weldments and capture bits in the front tips that were unnecessary for my 76. I had to cut some metal off to make them fit in the lower rad support. Other than that, they were great! Beautiful TIG welds and capture nuts in mostly all the places needed.

Talked to John at Baddogparts.  He gave me a call and we chatted for a while over the phone.  Great guy!  and very knowledge of course. Talked about various things, went over the stuff I may be possibly making and selling. Talked about the floor rails, said he had no problem with my floor rails, didnt mind if I used his idea for the rear section. His floor rails and mine are different and are for different applications. Told him Id give credit notice on my site if I do sell floor rails for his rear section idea of the rail. Didnt mind my seat brackets either.  He suggested tips to me on certain things.  Went over how business is doing for him and me (I wont talk about this). Overall he didnt mind me entering the datsun community as a producer vendor.  He was very understandable about the situation.  Hope to hear from him again.

• Like 2