IGNORED

Anyone running MegaSquirt in their Z?

grannyknot

Weren't you working on getting a Haltech system going pretty recently?  Have you installed and tuned a Megasquirt system?  Seems like there's a lot of internet sleuthing and agglomerating going on.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just good to qualify advice given with a caveat or two.

20 hours ago, madkaw said:

There's discussion on both VR sensors and hall sensors . MS made it hard for me to differentiate between the two, so I thought any reading on the subject was good. There 

It was a good read, another way of seeing what might be the problem. This pull resistor sounds promising.

Did you finally go with the resistor in the ECU or on the sensor wire as well? Do you remember the size of resistor? This is what R57 looks like at the moment,

DSCN0427.JPG

"Might be GK has already moved on from the BMW parts though.  Said he's buying a new sensor but didn't say if it was Bimmer or DIYAutotune. "

ZH, the new sensor is a stock BMW VR sensor

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll get this sucker running yet.

I'd have to re- read my own thread to know for sure . No resistor in the wiring for sure. Okay, looks like I put a 1k at 57. 

You need some pull up resistor somewhere . You could try in the wiring first, but somewhere you need one

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Matt Cramer and he says VR sensors don't require a pull up resistor, but there is light at the end of this MS tunnel, fellow forum member, Careless has put me on to a mechanic friend of his down in the city that is also a MS guru. This guy is also willing to drive north to my place and see if he can get this lump of mine running:Yes: He's coming over this thursday to have a look, I'm pumped.

• Like 3

I GOT THE S.O.B RUNNING! :victorious: Matt, the MS guru is coming up in a couple days so I was neatening up the wires so I didn't look like the complete backyard hack that I am and was checking them all again for power, grounds and continuity. That's when it occurred to me that the ignition coil positive wire was getting switched power but not when the starter was turning, I hadn't connected the coil to the ignition wire, what a twit.  Switched it over and it started right up and idled pretty well. The strange thing is the laptop running TunerstudioMS says "Not Connected" and it is definitely connected. But that is something Matt can figure out. At least I can say it didn't beat me. As my Dad use to say "If one monkey can do it, another monkey can do it"

• Like 2