IGNORED

240z Paint shop issues!!

jalexquijano

THe paint shop i hired to restore my car with 904 White PPG paint did a great job. However there are still some issues that were not solved such as:

1. They cannot fit the front bumper guards in the new front bumper i bought! Really weird. I have attached pictures of the bumper without the guards. I bought this bumper on EBay and was shipped from Canada. Shop argues there is some slight difference between the original front bumper and this one and that there is not enough clearance between the bumper guards and the front Hood. if the Hood is opened it touches the bumper guards.

2. Passenger and Driver doors do not close smoothly. You have to throw the doors with some pressure for both of them to close. All my rubber seals where bought from http://www.vintagerubber.com/240z.aspx

3. They argue that the inner hatch seal does not fit correctly around the hatch.

4. Some of the trunk plugs are missing.  where do i get them? What size are they?

IMG_20160801_085618.jpg

IMG_20160801_085604.jpg

IMG_20160801_085335.jpg

IMG_20160801_085343.jpg

IMG_20160801_085357.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano

In Europe those bumperguards never existed..  (In my opinion it looks much better without those stupid.....)  Also in Japan there were no guards! so why bother?

The holes were closed with a special little round rubber..

Those new rubber door seals have to sit for a while, after a month having de doors closed readjust if necessary..

Contact vintage rubber why the inner hatch seal does not fit..

and those rubber plugs... measure the hole and get them in a auto store

• 2 months later...

Regarding filling the holes in the bumper where the vertical override pieces go. Go to a hardware store or marine store and pick up some SS carage bolts. Remove the square corners under the panhead and polish the panhead.....they look really good. Bettrer than rubber plugs IMO anyway.

• 1 month later...

I think I know the answer to your front bumper issue.  Based on the location of the holes you have a '73 240z or '74 260z bumper.  In '73 and '74 the vertical guards were closer together and the bumper stuck out further from the car.  '70-'72 240z front bumpers had the vertical guards spread wider apart and the bumper was closer to the car.  Check out the pictures below, '73 on top, '72 on bottom.

Brown73z.jpg

silver72z.jpg

I had a topic on the door seals a while back how I solved the slamming, when restoring my 240z. All the aftermarket ones, even from vintage rubber are wrong. The Original ones where very soft, because the door is very light. You should not need to slam it even with the new rubber. It took me a while to find the correct rubber at a local supplier, for a few bucks really, not the 90 dollar per side vintage is asking LOLLOL

Edit: here's the link

Edited by bartsscooterservice

2 hours ago, Hardway said:

I think I know the answer to your front bumper issue.  Based on the location of the holes you have a '73 240z or '74 260z bumper.  In '73 and '74 the vertical guards were closer together and the bumper stuck out further from the car.  '70-'72 240z front bumpers had the vertical guards spread wider apart and the bumper was closer to the car.  Check out the pictures below, '73 on top, '72 on bottom.

Brown73z.jpg

silver72z.jpg

Another one of those cases where @jalexquijano likes using the shot gun approach to forum use.

Same question asked twice, days apart. Good forum etiquette would suggest that an original poster acknowledge that another topic answered all or part of his new question. Or maybe he was hoping for a different answer. LOL 

• Like 1