IGNORED

Need a miracle!

Taxelson

Just finished a complete engine rebuild on my 1975 Datsun 280z (I named her Bonnie) a few days ago.  I've owned Bonnie since 11/1/2015, just 6 months now, and began the rebuild the end of November.  When I tried to start it, I have absolutely no power in the car, no lights inside, no headlights, no clicking in the ignition, nothing? Hoping I didn't kill Bonnie.

Here is what I've done so far; I've cleaned and checked the battery and terminals, all new terminals. Checked for power from positive, the only power I have is to the starter, no power to the alternator or the ignition.  I've checked the grounds, all are good, the two bolted to the frame and the one to the back of the starter.  Needless to say, I'm both stumped and frustrated.  I can post pics of anything anyone needs, I appreciate your help.

P.S.- Bonnie ran very well when I bought her,  all lights worked, started every time, no problems.  Just a tired engine.

Help??!!

Troy

Red to the starter's solenoid, black to the top starter mounting bolt?  Alternator's white with red stripe to the BAT post, black to the E and the T plug plugged in?

It sounds like your new ground terminal isn't tight or the fusible link plug isn't connected.

I had a bad alternator that blew the IGN fuse on mine and killed all the gauges but the horn would blow. :D

12796d1417052885-240z-wont-start-fusible

Here are photos of the battery and connections, the back of the alternator and the starter, I can see that I do not have the black small wire with a usable link connected to the starter.  

I also have two wires with plugs that I don't know where they connect.  You can see them in the pic of the starter. I don't have any wires I can find to attach to those two?

thanks for all your help

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Okay, so the black wire with the link is attached to the same post as the red from the battery then it's connected to the cluster of wires next to the shock tower...

anyone have pics of which one its connected to?

thanks

On my 280, '77, there's no white plastic plug to the starter wire.  That pictures is a 240Z.

The small wire that goes to the starter's S terminal should be taped together with the black that goes to the fusible links on the strut tower.  There's 4 plugs on mine coming out from under where the voltage regulator is.  two go to the wiring harness and two go to the vacuum solenoids.

DSC01428.JPG

DSC01429.JPG

DSC01430.JPG

I circled in red where I think your problem is.  you left a wire disconnected maybe.   Follow the power path.  The wire you're looking for is white and thick and will have a ring terminal.

Here's another page from site's link - http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/75_280z_wiring.pdf

Edit - had the wrong year before.

77 missing wire.PNG

Edited by Zed Head
wrong diagram
  • Like 1