IGNORED

Rally anyone?

Mike

Hi Guus,

Isn't that the year when the Bandama Rally failed to get a result because all of the competitors dropped out? I think they all crashed or broke down before the finish - very unusual!

Raudet and Sausset from France were driving in a "Works" 240Z, but I don't know the registration number of the car. It was probably a car that was left in Africa after the Kenya 2000 or the Safari ( maybe the previous year's Safari event ) - maybe one of the high-speed Tender or Practice cars.

My list of "Works" cars is getting quite long now - but still MANY events that they competed in keep coming out of the woodwork, and yesterday I found a photo of ANOTHER "Works" car that I had never seen the registration number of before. I am getting close to 50 different "Works" car registration numbers now........

Happy hunting.

Alan T.

Hi all,

Loving all this detail but I'm afraid that 9 pages is getting a bit big when you're trying to sort out details.

I would rather mention this now, because at this rate we could be up to 100pages and utterly lost!

Could I suggest that we start a new thread for either each year or each rally.

At least in this fashion information will be easier to obtain, verify or add to.

:bunny:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller were successful Safari Rallye competitors and two times winners in a Z . I just got the information that also Hans Schuller is already dead.

I was looking out for him for an interview, sorry, I'm too late.

God bless him.

Rolf

Originally posted by Doehring

Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller were successful Safari Rallye competitors and two times winners in a Z . I just got the information that also Hans Schuller is already dead.

I was looking out for him for an interview, sorry, I'm too late.

God bless him.

Rolf

Sad to hear Schuller is dead, now he is also a Legend!!

Hi Rolf and Guus,

( Guus - long time no see!.......... )

Very sad to hear that Hans Schuller is also not with us any more. Herrmann passed away some years ago - so one of the most successful of pairings in Rally Zs has now gone.

It would have been very interesting and educational to talk to both of them. Schuller in particular, as he took part as both a Navigator and a driver on the Safari Rally, and also the Le Mans 24 Hour race in '75 - all in Z cars.

I'd like to see Rauno Aaltonen's memories of his Nissan / Datsun years in print at some point in the future. So far he seems to have been reluctant to be interviewed, although he used to do many interviews with Japanese magazines back in the 1970's.

Alan T.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Z Kid

Where did you get that poster from, I could see something like that taking pride of place on my bedroom wall. In two years of searching, I have never found a 240Z poster in aus.

Z kid

I never found the poster because there is no poster of! Don’t look any further.

I made it myself. I have a large file (5Mb) of the picture and let somebody plot it. I don’t know if that is the right word for it. But I can make every size I want A4, A3, A2, A1, A0.

• 4 months later...

I agree that NASCAR isn' t that exxciting.

How many times can you spin around in a cxircle before you get DIZZY? ;) Really, it doesn't seem to take a lot of talent to mash the pedal down and turn the wheel left.

Rally racing means:

YOU got out to look over the course and take notes.

You find somebody wo doesn't get nauseous while reading in the car to call out notes.

You practice driving like an idiot all over town & back roads.

The rest is probably the same as circle-track stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a neat idea ( I think)--

I found my old aviation whiz wheel, and it made me think, "Wy can't you make a time-speed-distance whiz wheel you could use (or co-driver) while you are travelling down the road?

Is there any software that allows you to print a whiz wheel thing, or would you have to draw it by hand?

I haven't worked out details yet, but it involves matching time & distance for initial speed, then you adjust it to your odometer and timer while driving to get the new speed to go. the whiz wheel should be safer than using a calculator, meaning it should only take a sec or two to look at & adjust the wheel, then another sec or two to read it. I'm sure I could write a program for my notebook computer or PDA (*choke!*), then keep it on the seat (notebook) or velcro it to the dash (PDA).

just a thought, and

I'm full of it. :D

• 7 months later...