Doesn't sound good, does it? Might be more costly than worth it, especially if you keep reading below! However, great job guys, I appreciate the views and thoughts! 

This part seems like a tough find, and now maybe I understand why?  

Although this switch does look a little different from the others I have seen. As Terrapin Z mentioned, it did come out of a 71, and mine is a 72. Although I understand this was a dealer option and not a... Dare I say the "F" word (based on the post "7 words to never say") ... Factory. Is it possible different a/c  units/switches were available at different dealers? I say this, because, see the below paragraph...and I'd love additional weigh in from all.

My Z was installed with A/C at the dealership when purchased. However, it didn't come with this additionally installed control unit. On my  a/c unit box that is located under the glove box, there is an on off knob with arrow showing if you turn it past on and keep turning all the way you will increase the coolness. To access the a/c you move the knob on the heater control and select vent. Tadah... A/C on. So mine came without the extra mounted switch mounted on the driver side. You would think all the dealers would have access to the same a/c units and switch and isn't it curious that there is a variation?

Another thought that occurs to me after everyone's great feedback is this.... I don't NEED this switch, mine works fine. I just thought I'd LIKE one? Am I chasing after more problems out of want rather than need? I'm thinking that is probably the case. For those of you following me on the SU carb issue... Another exercise in futility? 

Thoughts? I'll take photos of the a/c unit when I'm next at the shop just so you can see what my unit looks like. 

Im learning gang! Hang tuff with me ;)

K

The lil z lady... Learning!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I'd guess that "On" would be where you're letting the tube control the switch, and the fact that you get continuity right away means the gas has leaked.  Both "gas leaked out" and "gas cooled or condensed" would relieve pressure on the switch.  Not a good sign, it's just a plain old switch now.

I wonder f there's not a refrigeration equipment repair shop out there somewhere that can't refill those though.  Seems simple, in principle.

My thought was that as the tube gets colder the switch would need to be turned farther clockwise to have the contacts engage thus starting the compressor again to then make it even colder. Right now at room temperature the click come with minimal turning. I was going to test this theory by sticking the tube in the freezer and seeing if the switch click comes on later. 

Once the switch reaches the thermostatic setting it should then click off, thus turning the compressor off. until such time as the car environment starts to warm then the switch would turn on and run the compressor again. 

I'm going to test it an see what happens. I did not pay much for the switch so if it is no good I am not out much. 

So I put the tube in the freezer for 2 hours and retested the switch. There was no click at all when turned, I expect this is because no car is ever at 32 degrees or less for air conditioning. I pulled the tube out of the freezer and let it come up to room temp and the click came back. 

Per my statement above I think this switch is working. 

The only real way to tell is to install it in a car and see if it functions properly. 

I do not have the A/C in my car. so I can not test it in a live situation. 

15 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

So I put the tube in the freezer for 2 hours and retested the switch. There was no click at all when turned, I expect this is because no car is ever at 32 degrees or less for air conditioning. I pulled the tube out of the freezer and let it come up to room temp and the click came back. 

Why didn't you test continuity?  That's the functional part.

So the pressure in the tube would have to be more like a Bourdon tube in a pressure gauge.  That might be reasonable.  My initial thought was that it was a simple on-off switch controlling an on-off temperature control.  Set to too cold and okay.  If it covers a range of temperatures it's more like a true thermostat.

You could test continuity when you pull it out and turn the knob until you lose it, then it should get continuity as it warms up (to trun on the compressor) until you turn the knob again.  Maybe you'll get a click too.  Turn, wait, click, meter indication, turn, wait, click, meter....

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Why didn't you test continuity?  That's the functional part.

So the pressure in the tube would have to be more like a Bourdon tube in a pressure gauge.  That might be reasonable.  My initial thought was that it was a simple on-off switch controlling an on-off temperature control.  Set to too cold and okay.  If it covers a range of temperatures it's more like a true thermostat.

You could test continuity when you pull it out and turn the knob until you lose it, then it should get continuity as it warms up (to trun on the compressor) until you turn the knob again.  Maybe you'll get a click too.  Turn, wait, click, meter indication, turn, wait, click, meter....

Well I intended to recheck continuity after the freezer test but got busy and by the time I got back to it, it was clicking the same as it did at room temp. 

I fully intend to do a more comprehensive cold / continuity test on it. As I do not have A/C in my car and as stated prior my intent was to flip it, so making sure it works right is an important step in that process. I won't sell it if it ends up being no good. Not my style. 

Preliminary results (no click when immediately pulled from freezer) are that it is functioning and will warrant further testing. 

I am going to test continuity as it cools off in the freezer the click should move further clockwise, and as it warms back up coming out the click moves counterclockwise.

I'd be happy to document my results here on this thread for those that are interested. Might be tomorrow though as I am headed out for the evening. 

Okay, second freezer test was to place the probe in the freezer (again WAY colder than any cars interior should be unless your stuck in a snow bank in Siberia)

Immediately the on/off click moves up the dial clockwise and within 30 seconds it has maxed out the switch. Upon pulling the probe from the freezer the click moves back down the dial counterclockwise at a slower rate as the probe adjusts to room temp. Every click up or down the dial had continuity up and down (on/off) in the correct manner for the switch. 

I then placed a small gel freezer pack in a glass of water and place the probe in that. I moved the dial to the approximate temperature for the click. when reaching the "desired cold" the unit clicks and continuity is separated. I then pulled the probe out of the glass (without tuning the dial) and in about a minute the unit clicked on indicating the compressor needs to come on and make more cold. Placing the probe back in the water resulted in the unit clicking off indicating the compressor is off as the car is now cold enough. 

I ran that test about 10 times. and as the glass of water warmed, it took longer to trip the unit. Another freezer gel pack made it click back faster. 

To me this all indicates the switch and probe are working as one would expect it to. The last test would be to hook it up in a car and see how it preforms in a live correct environment. I would, but I do not have an A/C car to try it on. 

I welcome any questions or comments on this.

It is for sale. KiraK has first dibs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I thought I had best update this post. I have found almost everything I need, either from members here, or sadly because I was learning where the best places were to find parts, I purchased on eBay and new.. Expensive! Unfortunately that killed my budget, but I learned much along the way about how to source parts! 

I have gotten everything I needed on my list :) 

There are still a few pieces and parts I'm finding that I need as I continue this process, so I will list anything needed here with an updated list. 

However I wanted to thank all who helped me on my quest to find the parts on my original list! 

A HUGE thank you to the awesome community here at CZCC! I'm so greatful that my girl and I found you! 

K

The lil z lady! :) 

Just wanted to update this post. Thanks to all and a few expensive lessons learned by purchasing parts on eBay and new, I now have all the parts I originally posted!

i have a few more parts needed, and I will update a small list here shortly for those who might be able to help.

Many thanks to all who helped me learn how to best source parts! I learned a ton from all of you! 

A very greatful.., 

K

The lil z lady :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, I have solved the A/C problem and my switch is working, so that is no longer needed! Yay! However, I am still needing the other parts I mentioned. If anyone has those parts, please Lmk.

thanks gang!

K

The lil z lady :)