IGNORED

Blowby-too much smoke!

zmanoside

Here's an adjustment article you might find a tip or two in.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080720024048/http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=12&uid=786489&gid=1803105

And my tip is to make a board with the exhaust and intake info, mark them off as you do them because you can do two at a time with very little movement of the cam but it skips around.  So it's a lot quicker than doing #1 through #12.  Another thing I did was make a center mark on the front cam tower, our motors tilt to the passenger's side and you have to get the lobe pointed straight up from the tilted motor, not looking straight on at it.

An empty beer case works good for me and are plentiful around here. LOL  Stick it under the passenger's wiper blade.

DSC00596.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zmanoside said:

Well, she started much easier and she idles much better. Still smokes like a sob and the compression on 6 is still at 90. Gotta work tonight and tomorrow night so she will sit for a couple days...

After adjusting the valves on one I bought that was a slow starter, just barely bumping the key made it crank right up.  It really makes a difference.

Work sucks!

Oh, I forgot to mention. On 2 of the adjustments I had to removed the rocker spring to get at a better angle to be able to loosen the adjustment nut. Hopefully this is ok. I just reinstalled them after I was done. I think they are known as mousetrap springs? Anyways they went back on no problem. I didn't ready anything about having to remove these to adjust so I was a little hesitant but did it anyways ha!

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've been thinking, LOOK OUT :o, about having a plugged PCV system like the OP had to begin with.  Could that have caused his smoke problem or been a band-aid for it?  I've only seen two on here that had them plugged from a high performance builder. 

Give the man a cigar. I hadn't considered the "Band-aid" theory. It's the one that makes the most sense. We screwed around with catch cans, pan baffles and windage trays on dragsters in the sixties. Even tried blocking it all off and sealing the crankcase. Oil started seeping out of any place it could. If the air being pushed and pulled up and down under pistons wasn't enough the added pressure from leakage past the rings all had to go somewhere and it did. The best catch cans were made from a windshield washer reservoir bottle. Slide in, slide out bracket made it easy to clean.

• Like 1

The hose from the valve cover should release plenty of pressure, I'd think.  The crankcase and valve cover are essentially the same cavity.  Hope is good, but that #6 number is pretty low and shows all the signs of bad rings. 

• Like 1

Once you seal up the block with the head the only opening is at the front of the oil pan, right?  Seems like the rear main seal would blow out if air wasn't released through that opening to the front cover then to the head.  I'm just trying to figure out why they are plugging the block's PCV outlet.  I don't see a reason for it, but there has to be.

DSC00688.jpg

I think that he's basically converting a "PCV" to a "CV".  The PCV brings fresh air in through the valve cover to cause movement of crankcase gases through and out.  The old-style 40's-60-'s era vents just allow overpressure somewhere to go, but there's no "cleansing" action.  No flow, it's static and only the excess gas gets pushed out.  The rest of the blowby just hangs around, dropping its contaminants in to the oil.  Like an old Chevy with the vent on the oil filler tube.

The dip stick always comes to mind when the discussion turns to pressure.  It would get pushed out if pressure was significant.  At least mine would, the seal isn't very tight.  It's basically a gravity seal.

I just noticed or didn't notice something, no oil holes in any of his cam pics and no spray bar.  Please tell me you have holes in the cam lobes and I just can't see them?  You said it was a P79.  The head builder must have opened up that hole for a mechanical pump then someone put an electric one on there for the triples.

image.jpg