IGNORED

Float level advice, please.

siteunseen

Here's some I have handy. The first are OE Nissan. The 2nd ones are aftermarket. The pins are different. It's in inches, I'll let you convert to millimeters. Doing yardwork and on a beer break. Front Nissan...

20210417_133132.jpg

rear Nissan...

20210417_133304.jpg

Front aftermarket...

20210417_133512.jpg

Rear aftermarket...

20210417_133552.jpg

I can do bettet later on. I'm covered in weed. LOL

20 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I had a graft on my eye lid after a welding accident. He got the pliable skin off my penis and it all worked out perfect. He did say I may be a little c o c k eyed temporarily.

What happens when you rub your eye?😂 Do you go bug eye?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

Short one in the front carb, tall one in the rear. 

I measured just the hex portion without the sealing washer.  (Is your measurement up on the round part near the top of the valve?)

Thanks guys for the float valve measurements. I did measure from the base all the way to the top of the valve. I figured overall length was the important parameter. I would assume that the dimension from the end of the hex to the top of the valve would be pretty consistent within the same manufacturer, so I ought to be able to convert your measurements to overall.

I wouldn't complain, however, if one of you guys would measure the length from the bottom of the hex to the rounded top of the body. Just don't catch the little retainer spring under the caliper jaw. Easy peasy.

Also, I found a stock long valve here. It's cracked (so it's unusable), but I will check that one too.

Thanks!

Edited by Captain Obvious

You want base to the top of the circle? I can get that in the morning. I have 3 different sets to show. 2 have "1.7" stamped on them. The Grose valves do not.

I went from the base to the top of the hex, making sure not to get the spring's wire on the one's I posted. Sadurday night baby, my eyes are bad at the moment. LOL

Screenshot_20210417-212835_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Yeah, I'm measuring including the rounded top portion. Essentially I'm interested in "how far does the valve stick out of the bowl lid", and that includes more than just the hex portion.

So I'm measuring everything from the sealing washer surface to the top of the valve (not including the movable internal bits). Like this:
P1190060.JPG

So this is my (cracked body) 72F valve. I get .806 (20.5mm), That makes sense since the TSB mentioned earlier says they lowered the bowl level for the 72 front carb by 2mm. Both the valve and the bowl lid ears got 2mm longer for the 72F, so all the numbers line up to support that:
P1190059.JPG

So when your eyes get back into focus, let me know.  LOL 

Oh, and it's clear to me that Datsun really messed around with stuff in 72. The float valves are unique, the lids are unique, everything is different than the previous years. It looks to me like they were chasing minutia. Some engineer realized the slight geometry differences between front and back carb bowls when they mounted on the car and convinced management he could make it better. I'm thinking they should have just left well enough alone.

Also makes it clear why I was having a hard time getting these carbs right... They're all kinds of wrong inside from previous owners.    :excl: