IGNORED

Tare Weight

That Ozzy Guy

George,

I've dug through many of the brochures and technical documents that I have, and they all seem to say something different!

Some of them state a 15kg difference for the Auto tranny versions, and some of them state a 25kg difference. That's a pretty wide variation don't you think?

I must say that its just about par for the course with Nissan / Datsun and their local distributors. Its very difficult to find two sets of figures that completely tally.

Sorry I can't find anything more definitive..........

Alan T.

It appears that the all mighty NSW Department of Motor Transport has changed. With the computer age they have lost this huge paper based repository at Roseberry. So now we can all have a chance to get things approved. It appears the average tech can not tell the diffrence between a Coupe, and a sedan, how bad is that.

To the Tare weight there are plenty of public weigh bridges in NSW so if you produce the weight you need on a public weigh bridge ticket, the state DMT has to accept it. They don't have the repository to refute it, and they wont pay for a re-way.

No I would not do that!!!!, not to a Zed the rear gaurds would rub on the tyres.

cheers

Steve

:classic:

That's fine Alan. Thanks for having a look. Speaking to a wide range of enthusiasts I've come up with lots of different figures ranging from 933 (yes that's right) to 1089 from a Haynes manual. That's a difference of 156kg!

Steve, the engineer has advised me not to use a public weigh bridge as they can be rigged. What's to stop a person weighing down their car? For this reason the RTA are hessitant to accept those figures. They will check the figures with their records and reject the car. Not a desirable result after spending thousands of dollars.

If the DMT are going to produce these records when you present the vehicle for rego, then they should supply the records on demand so you can build to the expected weight. My 12/71 auto is air-conditioned as well so in theory the weight on the rego 1040 is below operating weight. When you do get some figures from the motor registry, I would be interested to see what the weight is for an auto with aircon as this should be the top weight. As to them not trusting the public weight bridge that is a matter of law, and an indictment of them being there own law as a public institution they are bound by that weight as certified. The only way they can be exempt is by an act of the state parliament. They just bluff you. They rely on the fact that you will not have the money to put them back in their box using the courts.

This J site has some interesting weights in KG

http://www6.shizuokanet.ne.jp/bandit/z-s.html

Cheers

steve:classic:

From what their tech department told me I gather that the public weigh bridge is for modified vehicles and used in blue slip situations. Basically they want to determine that they will receive their correct registration fee after all modifications have been carried out.

As for weight bridge and old cars, alot of things could have happened to them radically changing the weight over the years. So, when it comes to getting an engineers report approved they wish to verify the original weight of the car. Reason, the car was engineered/designed to withold so much torque/power. By introducing this formula of "Tare Weight X 0.294" (and all the other formulas) they are ensuring your safety. On this point I can't see why you couldn't reinforce the chassis and get that engineered also but laws are laws I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Z registered today and on the rego papers they've put it down as a Sedan and tare weight of 1160. Now the weight was most likely used form the blue slip (didn't get a chance to look at it to confirm this) but where did they get Sedan? :stupid: I know the blue slip said coupe.

Wow Zeds just keep getting heavier according to the the licencing departments. Any advance on 1160 kilos?

So where did they get the extra 100 kilos from? Figured you would install 100 kilos of subwoofers, speakers and Amps?

interesting link to the z weights. Z432R : 950 KG!

• 5 years later...

sorry to bring up a very old topic, but i am trying to do some research into changing the engine in my 71 240Z (it has been unregistered for a while, and is only now pretty much a shell).

I really wanted to get a V12 into the car, but with a "small" 5L (4988cc) BMW engine, it means i hit the problem you reached with your 308.. i need the RTA to "recognise" the original tare weight of the car as being atleast 1035KG (close.. but 15kg more than the 1020kg they seem to have on file).

Just wondering how you ended up resolving your issue and how you convinced the engineer on your differential (havn't spoken to one yet, trying to work out what i want to do first)

thanks, would appreciate knowing what happened (and which engineer you used, i am in sydney too)

Kent

• 2 months later...

hi kent. sorry for the late reply. i don't visit here often enough.

if you're not a member already, check out http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php some of the guys there will be able to help seeing as they know local laws.

as for mine, i ended up purchasing another 240 that had engineers papers prior to some law changes in 1994 which allowed me to keep a large capacity engine in it. i doubt you can do it these days but things change all the time and so look into it.

i'll give you a number for rta tech info you can try. they ought to help you or point you in the right direction. 1300 137 302

good luck