IGNORED

1970 Z for sale

GeoJoe1

• 1 month later...

On 2016-03-06 at 5:09 PM, hr369 said:

Where are the Canadian guys? They should be all over this one.  Get it running and sell it to a collector outside canada.Take advantage of that horrible exchange rate

while you can.

Here is the Canadian conversation on this car, http://www.ontariozcar.com/ozc/forum/forums/buy-sell/50089-240z-ready-for-restoration Geojoe is the only guy who can solve this mess, he's owned it for 33 yrs and has been unaware of the #72 on the firewall, I doubt there is any fraud going on here, at least not by Joe.

Sounds to me like the PO owned #60, it got smacked up or rusted out or whatever, PO picked up #72 and transferred everything of worth from #60 over to #72 and he didn't mention it to his insurance co. or the Motor Vehicles Dept., then he sold it to Geojoe in 1983. Joe needs to get Banzai to make up new data plates and dash tag with #72 on them, then with pics of the firewall and engine serial # go to the Motor Vehicle Dept, explain the situation and get a a new ownership forum issued with #72 as the VIN. Carl Beck knows about this car now so there is no way of covering anything up now, it will just add a little spice and flavor to the car history.

The only fly in the ointment that I can see are those little braces behind the rear seat mounts, I'm pretty sure that Nissan didn't start putting those in until late 1971 so... a third car is involved or maybe just it's floor pans, the plot thickens.

Chris

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

The only fly in the ointment that I can see are those little braces behind the rear seat mounts, I'm pretty sure that Nissan didn't start putting those in until late 1971 so... a third car is involved or maybe just it's floor pans, the plot thickens.

Just checking which little brace you're referring to. Do you mean the strip that crosses the entire floor pan and connects to the back of the rear mount pads and ties them to the floor?

I had no idea that was not there in the early cars! I have 8570 here right now, it has it. No surprise they wanted to ad more strength to these mounts though. The 280's seat mounts were 2-3 times stronger than the 240 mounts.

5 hours ago, zKars said:

Just checking which little brace you're referring to. Do you mean the strip that crosses the entire floor pan and connects to the back of the rear mount pads and ties them to the floor?

I had no idea that was not there in the early cars! I have 8570 here right now, it has it. No surprise they wanted to ad more strength to these mounts though. The 280's seat mounts were 2-3 times stronger than the 240 mounts.

I had no idea that brace was not always part of the original design, but apparently it was not by this picture of #00051. I found it in the flickr album pointed to in this BaT link:

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/11/21/bat-exclusive-the-18th-earliest-surviving-datsun-240z/

@Gav240z shared this link in post #13 of this topic.

My 7/70, car 06521, does have those braces, I wonder when they were added?

HLS30-00051 Floor.JPG

Edited by CanTechZ

Great day! Learned another early Z uniqueness! 

Definitely got into #72 via the floor donor. I'd feel obliged to remove it! 

Hard to imagine that little strip adds much in the way of stiffness. Some for sure. Wonder if you can fell your butt fall and rise on a good bump with floor flex...

14 hours ago, grannyknot said:

my car is 01955 and it doesn't have those little braces so I doubt #72 would have it either.

From the pics that GeoJoe posted on the OntZCar forum you can see what could be a weld line running the length of the transmission tunnel, so could just be floor pans cut out of a later car.

Looking at the latest photos posted here (which are quite hi-res), you can see the full weld line.  As Chris notes, it's most obvious along the transmission tunnel. It runs to just aft of the aforementioned later-style floor brace, then across to the sill (notice that the floor kick-up behind the floor brace features the Series 1 tie-down tabs for the jack and tools).  Going forward, it looks like the join line between the inserted floor and the native structure runs along the bottom of the toeboard.  Looks like a pretty sanitary job, actually.  I wonder if #60 and #72 were both Alberta cars, or whether they found each other here in Ontario?  I would suppose that #60 may have been the victim of crash damage or a fire.  Floors this good wouldn't have come out of a rust-bucket.

My name Is Chris... Geojoe is my handle

To clear up a few things

1) I dont remember where I got the replacement floor pans but it was from a wrecked car- no idea of the actual year. Could have been a 71/72??

No biggie, it fit and was rust free so I bought them and had them professionally welded in. I was very happy with the job.

2) This car has no connection to Ontario... its just where I live now. Neither s/n 60 or 72.

I bought it after close inspection, in Edmonton...everything except fiberglass body parts looked original and I saw no evidence of any tampering at the time.

The Vin on dash, doorjamb and strut posts all matched and there was no evidence that rivets attaching them were not original. It is only 2 months ago that I noticed s/n engraved on firewall said 72! I was very surprised! So. Possibly a) prev owner (back in "82 in Edmonton) had a cracked dash and saw this pristine dash (still is) on a wrecked?? zed with 060 s/n and swapped it out while also swapping the 2 identity plates... Why he would do that instead of swapping only the dashboard plate with his correct existing 072 s/n on his dash (maybe he had already disposed of it before he realized his mistake? OR B) There was some error made on the production line at Datsun back in '69. I contacted Nissan last month about this but all records are no longer available....A real mystery to me!! We will likely never know. I may have original Bill of Sale but so far have not located it. I do have some records still from my Edmonton days, boxed... just need time to search thru them. Perhaps if found, previous seller may still be alive and reachable and willing to share what he remembers about it.

3) EVERYTHING in the engine compartment, and I do mean EVERYTHING appeared 100% original and untampered with. In fact, I was so amazed, this was one of the main reasons that I bought the car on the spot. The 060 s/n clinched it! Is it a first day production car?? Could be. Certainly in the first couple days!.

ASKING $15,000

By the way....

This car was registered as s/n 060 from the guy I bought it from and continued with this registeration here in Ontario when I brought it here in my name.

I am not planning on spending any more time on this issue.

If you are a Purist from the states and think you may have problems registering it ...don't buy it.

Thank you all for your comments.

Chris