IGNORED

Parts needed for 280Z R200 CV axle swap?

wheee!

I searched but found no clear answers to my question of what parts I need to upgrade my R200 3.90 diff to a CV axle setup on my 280Z.

I know that I can get the CV flange adapter from zcardepot to bolt the CV's to the stub axles,

s-l500.jpg

but I am getting conflicting info on which CV axles I need.

I believe that one side is longer than the other but some parts sites are listing them as universal?

Do I need the 280ZX CV's or the 300ZX Turbo axles? The ad below indicates a single CV axle for both sides...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221481941600?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l500.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by wheee!

The adapters in your picture are for Porsche 930 design CV ends, not 280ZX or 300ZX.  You can tell by the bolt pattern.  Six evenly spaced holes is 930, three sets of two is 280ZX, and four is 300ZX turbo.  The axle length depends on how much travel there is for the CV joints on the shaft ends.

No vendors seem to make just an adapter for an existing Nissan axle, although people (cygnusx1) have made their own for the 280ZX CV axles.  The aftermarket guys all make hub axle and companion flange sets, which is somewhat overkill.  There are plans for the adapters that will let you use stock 280ZX axles, on the Hybridz site.

http://forums.hybridz.org/files/file/3-cv-adapter-print/

• Like 1

I think also, that there are two lengths, even for the 280ZX axles.  The thing is though, that the reman stock may be disappearing.  So, you can run one set then be looking for used parts.

We'll be using either u-joint half shafts or 930 CV axles eventually. 

Rockauto 1982 CV.PNG

Oreilly 1982 CV.PNG

Reman CV's aren't known for their quality.  There may also be new aftermarket CV's that would work although the aftermarket apparently gets their lengths confused. People have received 300ZX axles instead of 280ZX.

I have a collection of used original 280Z u-joint half-shafts.  The u-joints have Zerk holes, so I just grease them up and use them as needed.  I've only had two bad shafts, one was on my car when I got it, with a dry rusty u-joint, the other came on a parts car that had been hit in the back.  It must have "Brinelled" the lengthwise race in the shaft itself because it bound up eventually.

The best u-joints are the Nissan factory ones that come with variable thickness clips to get the play set just right.  The $20 parts store joints tend to be loose.  It's a dilemma.

I have a set of 280ZX CV axles in the garage and have thought about making an adapter to try them.  But these days, it doesn't seem worth it.  I'd hate to have a ZX, with no source for half-shafts.  They might be converting back to 280Z u-joints soon.  Here's Autozone's supply.

1982 autozone.PNG

• 3 years later...

Just sold my last set. I have a set of the 280ZX tripod inner stub adapters yet if you decide to go that way.

Only one thing I know, CV conversions are not cheap, there are no cheap solutions unless you are doing ALL the fabrication yourself. People's time material expertise and development investment is worth every penny they are charging.

Best "Value" is still DatsunRestomod.com.  Simple, remove old/bolt in new setup with same 8 bolts. No 200 bolts with safety wire and 3 sets of loose splines on both sides with the crappy Porsche 930 CV stuff... 

• Like 1

I saw where you buy the plates and use cv axles for a 300 turbo. I have a 78 280 AT that I’m converting to manual 5spd. I recently bought the entire drive train from a 83zx. R200 and close ratio transmission. Came with all 3 shafts. I want to remove and refurbish/ upgrade as much as I can without breaking the bank. I plan on doing the work just looking for advice on the best route to go. I hate it when I hear Man you should have done this!! I’ll have it completely apart wan to do brakes & cv conversion all at one time. Looking for as much expertise as possible. Thanks 

I'd use the u-joint half-shafts that you have.  Get a zerk fitting, remove the little screws and lube them up.  They'll probably last another 40 years.  The "CV" half-shafts are not really much better than the u-joint shafts.  They're probably cheaper to manufacture, maybe why Nissan switched.

• Like 1