IGNORED

Glove box 78 280Z-trying to get it open

One Way

Thanks for the amazing knowledge and help received from this great website. I am sure this site will be my most valuable tool as we tackle this resurrection project. I know it will be a slow but hopefully successful project. Thanks again. Day off from work due to disasterous flooding. May spend some time with my new Z or be a help to some others in need from the flood. I will keep you posted on the glove box challenge. Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

Haha! Yes, Zed Head. It is possible for me to lock the keys in my 77. And I suspect that even as methodical as I am, I will  eventually do that someday.

Greg, Yup, my 77 came to me with multiple keys as well. One or more of the previous owner's had issues with the locks and had replaced some stuff. I had a different key for EACH door, and a third for the ignition, glove box, and hatch. One of my past projects was to rekey everything back to one key. Hopefully what I've got in there now will last the lifetime (of my ownership) of the car. I don't know when they made the change to one key, but since it's in the 77 Owner's Manual and Zed Head says that his 76 also uses just one key, I don't think there were any 77's that used up old stock. Nobody could really know for sure, but I suspect your car had some work done.

Don't lock your key(s) in your car!  :)

I hit the jackpot in the glove box! Intact owners manual, warranty and service booklet, and a few service records. All a bit damp but certainly intact. I am letting them air out on the kitchen table. No luck with the keys. They do not work on the glove box latch or the rear hatch. Keys insert but do not turn the rear hatch button, insert and turn the glove box but will not release the latch. Did that manually after removing the hinge screws as recommended on one of the very helpful posts above. Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC

Just noticed the post about the key codes. The label is still there. The FH- and VH- lines are blank, the ENG/DOOR

line has a key code scribbled in. Who knows? Locks changed, worn out, or rusted up? Just part of the new challenge.

Edited by One Way

Welcome One Way!  Glad you worked it out.  Time for a rekey/new lock set.  I noticed that you are new...I would like to suggest that you download a 78 Factory Service Manual (FSM) and the Fuel Injection Bible.  You will definitely need these guides as you work through your new Z.

Edited by ZCurves

Glad you got the glove box open. Now that you can see both sides of the lock, is it clear why the key turns, but doesn't open the door?

glove1.jpg

glove5.jpg

And Cliff, I'm getting mixed messages from your poster as well... Is the decline in place only WHILE drinking? Because, as you witnessed, I can certainly attest to the validity of that!  :D

And Cliff, I'm getting mixed messages from your poster as well... Is the decline in place only WHILE drinking? Because, as you witnessed, I can certainly attest to the validity of that!  :D

Apparently it's in place WHILE drinking because I was drinking when I posted that and keep having to go back a page and see what it says.  :rolleyes: