IGNORED

Dim Headlights

Gary L

Non-standard relays. If one goes bad, good luck finding a replacement. It might be plug and play for a 240Z. It's definitely not for a 260Z or 280Z. I would just spend the extra money on Dave Irwin's design since it is SPECIFIC for a 240Z (or 260Z/280Z if you work with him).

As recommended above, contact Dave Irwin (Zs-ondabrain) and have him build you headlight and parking light harness's. I did several years ago for my 77 280. He made it specifically for my Z. I have been happy with my lights ever since then.

No matter what you decide it would be a good idea to clean all connections.

Edited by rcb280z

I hadn't bought them yet but all the answers I got were that Dave's were superior to the Black Dragon ones, using heavier gauge wires.

Dave Irwin's site, http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/

EDIT: I just read through an old thread from Mr Irwin, http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/18838-headlight-upgrade-harnesss-for-sale-again/page-1.  He may be exclusive with MSA.  If so, you'll get a 10% discount from MSA with your "Member ID" number.  Look to the left under your avatar for the number.  Yours is 30,331

Edited by siteunseen

because of the proprietary nature of the connectors on the S30 cars built after about 1974, you'll be first cutting off the factory connectors and adding a custom "one-of" relay upgrade.  Only the 240Z has the "plug-and-play" type upgrade, so unless someone has a supply of the original headlamp harness connectors, disregard any claims of "plug-and-play" for the 280Z from those aftermarket vendors.

Dave Irwin's relay upgrade, is, however, superior to the cheap ones you find elsewhere, because he makes them specifically for your car or specific model, with your parts from your car. Because of that, it's still somewhat custom, but much more serviceable, if you need to replace any parts.

In fact, Dave makes the relay upgrades for certain Z parts vendors.

Edited by TomoHawk

The Irwin/MSA product is a good one.  I think that it does both the power supply side and the ground side so cleans up both of the problem areas.

If you feel comfortable with adding a relay, you can add one in front of the combination switch, at the fuse box, to take the power flow out of the switch and let it come through the relay instead.  I can't remember the details but it should be apparent from the wiring diagram.  You only need one to supply the fusebox, I believe.  A link is supplied below to Saridout's very nice 1976 color diagram.  Post #27.  

Besides dim headlights, the other problem that will crop up is heat buildup in the steering column switch.  either the heat cycling and fatigue, or actual melting of the solder, happens (hard to tell which, shiny metal is exposed) and the wire will break off at the contact.  You'll know you have this problem if the top of the plastic column cover gets very warm when the headlights are on.  The actual switch is under it.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/33820-free-full-color-wiring-diagram-for-1976-280z/page-2

• 2 weeks later...

No, but he said that was the last of the 280z plugs he has and I should remind others that 280z plugs are difficult to get and that is why he normally just makes the HLH for the 240z. So for others with a 280z, you'd probaby have to send him your plugs or convert to different plugs.

Gary