Mystery fuel warning light - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Mystery fuel warning light

Featured Replies

I just picked up square, red "FUEL" warning light that fits in the square slot below the radio in the middle of the center console between the blue "REAR DEFOGGER" and the red "FASTEN SEAT BELTS" warning lights.

I'm happy to be able to remove the blank plate I have in that spot and place that "FUEL" light. I realize that it will be redundant but I rather have the non-functional warning light than the blank plate.

The question is: What model Z had that red "FUEL" light in that spot? I've looked at every picture I could of all the different Z center consoles and can't find one with that warning light.

 

post-30038-0-34735000-1442690726_thumb.j

 

 

Edited by dmoralesbello

Yipes

Edited by Redwing

I typed into Google, "Datsun Z Car red fuel light".

This is what came up:

"Datsun 280ZX South Africa

Lite comes on when ingnition switched on and goes off when started but refuses to lite up to show low fuel Level even when fuel gauge shows empty."

So..... 280ZX ?

  • Author

I typed into Google, "Datsun Z Car red fuel light".

This is what came up:

"Datsun 280ZX South Africa

Lite comes on when ingnition switched on and goes off when started but refuses to lite up to show low fuel Level even when fuel gauge shows empty."

So..... 280ZX ?

Thought your answer might be right but unfortunately NOT! Looked at pics of the ZXs dash and the low fuel warning light is embedded in the main instrument cluster. :mellow:

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

On All 280 Z X ? This car was in South Africa. I would have no idea which Type 280 Z X was shipped there. That's what I was inferring, perhaps a different type.

i used that square blank to mount an input jack for my other media into the stereo (iphone, etc.)

looks very discreet and the kids love it.

My car has a toggle switch for the antenna mounted there. I've seen so many cars like that, I've wondered if it was a factory option.

 

I don't know what car that fuel warning lamp came out of. You don't know any of the history? Where did you get the indicator?

My car has a toggle switch for the antenna mounted there. I've seen so many cars like that, I've wondered if it was a factory option.

 

I don't know what car that fuel warning lamp came out of. You don't know any of the history? Where did you get the indicator?

Same here. Fuel light in radio/heater control bezel.

I thought I had one in my stash, but I only have the rear defogger and fasten seat belt light spares.

If I had to guess, either from an 810 of the same era.

 

<edit> I do have a radio bezel with a blank off plate where the fuel light resides on the '77Z, I *think* I may have acquired it from a '75 or '76, the latter being more likely as I haven't parted any '75's out.

 

<edit again> Just realized that was probably my doing, as it appears the "Floor Temp" indicator light uses the same blank off plate. too many parts to keep track off..... it's a disease...

Edited by wal280z

  • Author

I got his on Ebay from a vendor that has a few 77 and 78 Z parts. Other than that I have no additional history.

So was this square slot used for anything from factory in any of the original series Zs or was it always blank?

If anyone has what looks like a factory option in this slot could you please post a pic?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.