IGNORED

1972 FSM

240260280z

1971, though, seems to be unavailable anywhere.

AFAIK, the 1971 FSM was a supplement to the original Datsun 240Z Sports Service Manual.  Available in 3 parts on the Nicoclub.com website http://www.nicoclub.com/datsun-service-manuals .  I have it. It shows the 1971 wiring diagram and whatever changes they made elsewhere from the Series One.

I appreciate having this available, but it seems a lot more convenient to have a real printed manual. Haven't tried to find one (I've got a 72 engine manual, falling apart) and expect one in good condition would be expensive.

On the other hand, FWIW, it's no problem at all for my '63 Chevy truck. About 15 years ago I bought a new reproduction manual, about $20, 2 inches thick. Was curious if it's still available, so checked Amazon a few minutes ago. It's gone up, $40 for new official authorized reproduction manual. So I wonder why it's not available for the Z cars and other Nissan's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate having this available, but it seems a lot more convenient to have a real printed manual. Haven't tried to find one (I've got a 72 engine manual, falling apart) and expect one in good condition would be expensive.On the other hand, FWIW, it's no problem at all for my '63 Chevy truck. About 15 years ago I bought a new reproduction manual, about $20, 2 inches thick. Was curious if it's still available, so checked Amazon a few minutes ago. It's gone up, $40 for new official authorized reproduction manual. So I wonder why it's not available for the Z cars and other Nissan's.

Download to thumb drive and have your local office supply print and put in a tjree ringed binder. That's what I did and I think the FSM and the efi bible were around $40 from Office Max.
  • Like 1

Yes, will do, also coil and comb type bindings are available. When placing an order you can specify dividers with tabs to be inserted, to separate the sections. I downloaded the '72 (for SU's) and '73. I'll probably print mine as two books: one for engine and tune-up, with SU section from '72 manual, and one for everything else.  Might not want to use the cheapest paper.

Don't know (but now I can look it up) if US manual has specs for JDM/Euro distributors, etc. Might still need old Engine Manual for that.

If you download from the Downloads section (choice from the column on the upper left of this page) it will download as one big zip file that opens in to a folder of separate chapters.  Super easy.  1972 is 74.5 MB total.  You have to be logged in to download the FSM's.

• Like 1

If you download from the Downloads section (choice from the column on the upper left of this page) it will download as one big zip file that opens in to a folder of separate chapters.  Super easy.  1972 is 74.5 MB total.  You have to be logged in to download the FSM's.

Ahhhh!

Thank you Zed Head!

Chris

• 6 months later...

Thanks for this.  I have a 76, and had previously downloaded the 1976 FSM (same thing as what you posted, but for my year)

And I've been reading it lately as I get my Z going again...

I studied (and graduated... haha) engineering in college for many years, so I'm well versed in technical literature, diagrams, schematics, etc..

I've also used at least 5 different Haynes/Chiltons manuals-I buy one for each car I buy (read the Monte Carlo, Cougar, Camry, Predlude, 280z, TH350 one...)

AND this FSM (the Z FSM)  is by far the best piece of technical writing (minus some grammar) I've ever read.  

The diagrams are easy to follow, and it really has an abundance of information about these cars, as it should.  Even has the paint codes, specs, etc...  Verified that 76 280z with Auto Trans do have the R200 diff.

I understand why it is so heavily stressed for newcomers (and veterans alike) to refer to the FSM.  

Sure, issues still come up, especially with parts swapping, etc... but wow I just really appreciate such a great masterpiece of technical literature, thank you Nissan!

And thanks to members and suppliers for continuing to provide it, I'd print it out, but I think it would be about 1000 pages or something?