IGNORED

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

Metalman5151

I'm not trying to hustle anyone. I will only offer these for sale when I have each one completed, boxed and ready to go. I will post a video of me installing a set and going over the details of a set so that you can make a decision on whether you want to purchase or not. I also am planning to send a set to a member and he has stated that he would provide an unbiased review for the forum.  Like most of you I have a family, a job, a second job, and other responsibilities that get in the way of doing "fun" stuff like trying to create these. I'm making them now, switched from using 20 gauge stainless to using 20 gauge CR steel because of the issues I had with the stainless work hardening as I was hand forming the trim ring. That switched then forced me to find a reputable chrome plater (harder than you might think with new EPA rules out there on chromium). It is not feasible economically to send off 5 or so sets at a time, so I am in the process of making 25 sets of the trim rings so that the plating costs won't be through the roof. To do that means I have to hand form each half of the trim rings, then metal finish them and weld each half together. After welding I planish and finish the weld area, then they will get sent out to the chrome platers. He advised me it would probably be 2-3 weeks to do them but could take up to 6 weeks. I'm just a guy, not a company, I've had to create them from scratch. it takes time. 

• Like 1

Metaman, can't wait to see the finished product. I have a brother firefighter that had makes metal reproduction hoods (Hoosier Hoods) for early roadsters. They ship all of the world. It is amazing what he can do with metal. Once my FIA brakes arrive he is going to make backing plates for my z that look factory but fit the FIA brake calipers. I will post once made. Thanks for working on a project such as this for all of us owners. JLP

• Like 1

Thanks Jerry for the kind words. I have other ideas and plans in the works, as well. My background is in auto body and metal fabrication, and I see what I think could be a big demand for real body panels, not just patch panels. For example, complete door skins.  Like I said above my job is the biggest reason for all of these delays, hard to get a lot done when most weeks I'm working 60- 80 hours at my main job. But hopefully the day will come in the next couple of years where I can leave and start my own business. I'll continue plugging away and I will be very happy and proud the day I can start offering some products for sale.

Chris

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Metalman5151 said:

Thanks Jerry for the kind words. I have other ideas and plans in the works, as well. My background is in auto body and metal fabrication, and I see what I think could be a big demand for real body panels, not just patch panels. For example, complete door skins.  Like I said above my job is the biggest reason for all of these delays, hard to get a lot done when most weeks I'm working 60- 80 hours at my main job. But hopefully the day will come in the next couple of years where I can leave and start my own business. I'll continue plugging away and I will be very happy and proud the day I can start offering some products for sale.

Chris

Metalman, I have a set of door skins;) if you need any details from them let me know.

On 2/22/2017 at 5:41 PM, Metalman5151 said:

Chris

Metalman, I have a set of door skins;) if you need any details from them let me know.