IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

So I saw Redbird yesterday and put it up on jack stands. I watched as Jai sat in it and let out the clutch. The noise Jai is hearing is her differential lifting and bouncing around when it's put in gear. When it torques, I think it is lifting and causing the driver side axle to lift up and pinch a little making the connecting bolts tat tat tat when turning as well as hitting the body. I should have shot a video to better describe it :( .

I didn't have much room to really check but the Diff strap was not obviously broken and I could not get a good visual on the mount insulator.  Those would be my first guess without putting the car on a rack or at least a hard surface.  Any one have any spares or any other suggestions?

I've had my car on stands, with the wheels hanging, and the half-shaft angles are are too steep for the u-joints with the wheels hanging.  I think that was with KYB shocks.  They'll make that rat-tat-tat noise even with everything in good shape. The length of the shock at full extension will affect that.  So, you might have missed the real problem.  I think that you need to get the stands under the control arms so that the wheels and half-shafts are in the normal driving orientation.

But if the diff was bouncing around because of u-joint binding that's still not right.  The diff should be pretty well held in place by the front mount and the mustache bar.

FYI-

When I had RedBird to a local mechanic to put in the full set of bushings and new KY shocks, he reported she had new shocks already. So he did not install the ones he had ready to install. Those still in the car are KYB, and must have been installed when the folks were getting her ready for sale late last year.

Jai

Took a picture of an R200 diff nose on a mount.  Everything is inboard of the mount.  That rusty crack I circled in that other picture is just something hanging off the body.

A broken u-joint might cause some clanking and locking.  Or a broken differential.

post-19298-0-21120100-1441318537_thumb.p

FYI-

When I had RedBird to a local mechanic to put in the full set of bushings and new KY shocks, he reported she had new shocks already. So he did not install the ones he had ready to install. Those still in the car are KYB, and must have been installed when the folks were getting her ready for sale late last year.

Jai

Put the shocks up for sale here if you are not going to use them.

Somebody could use them and you could recoup your money spent.

Took a picture of an R200 diff nose on a mount.  Everything is inboard of the mount.  That rusty crack I circled in that other picture is just something hanging off the body.

A broken u-joint might cause some clanking and locking.  Or a broken differential.

Thanks Zed Head.  My heart kinda sank when I first noticed it as she has very limited $ for that kind of thing.  It's a little relief that you think it's something else.  I'm still going to give it a big eyeball next time just to make sure.

Thanks Zed Head.  My heart kinda sank when I first noticed it as she has very limited $ for that kind of thing.  It's a little relief that you think it's something else.  I'm still going to give it a big eyeball next time just to make sure.

Greg,

Download a copy of the 76 FSM from http://www.xenonZcar.com and go to the RA section. Could you identify what page in the FSM has the area in second photo?

By the way, you're a braver man than I am if you're willing to go under the car with jackstands on gravel.

Steve,

XenonZcar has been under construction for a while so no FSM's are available.  However, I have the 77 FSM and it is pg. 392 RA9, Fig. RA25. It is the Front mount insulator. I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Braver?, meh, I've got a teenage daughter, nuthin' scares me…...

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 3