IGNORED

Emergency brake stopping at high speed!

jalexquijano

man you guys just talking about using that parking break for emergencies, I'm over hear using it so people can't see that I'm breaking. its like stealth mode. 

We did that to slow the car when you see a cop using radar, so you can slow down without looking guilty.

Edited by TomoHawk

There's so much BS in this thread...  Yes, the hand brake in a S30 can be used to stop the car at speed - if its properly maintained and adjusted.  I've tested it at 40 mph on all of my S30s and a hard, fast pull on the handle will lock the rear wheels at that speed IF ITS PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND ADJUSTED!

• Like 3

The discussion is about controllable braking in an emergency.  And the misnomer of "emergency brake".  It's for parking.  

You're right though, we could have just told him to hit the gym and recommended some exercises.  Pull harder!

• Like 1

After re-reading the manual it looks pretty easy. Two adjustments, first at the rear wheels, and then at the tensioner nut, close to the front driveshaft U-joint, to take out any slack. Car should probably be on the rack, or raised high enough to get under there, to do it. I'd given up on my handbrake, but now I'm going to give it a try.

The manual gives a range of measurement for the adjustment. Wonder if it's better to shoot for the high or low end of the range?

Edited by Stanley

Just as an aside, our cars were designed with dual independent braking systems from the start. So even with a failed brake line, the other side of the system should provide emergency braking.

So unless you are trying to emulate Jeremy Clarkson, parking brake performance should be adequate.

WE did that to slow the car when you see a cop using radar, so you can slow down without looking guilty.

hahahahah thats basically why i do it, although for the Z i was thinking of installing relays, that are controlled from a computer, so i can just "kill" the lights.

hahahahah that's basically why I do it, although for the Z I was thinking of installing relays, that are controlled from a computer, so I can just "kill" the lights.

Why don't you just travel within the speed limit, so you don't have to worry about computers, realays, or "killing lights?"