IGNORED

ZCON 2015 Hookup

Ok... I'm home!! Completed my combination whirlwind tour of Memphis and Washington DC.

Had a fantastic time at Zcon 2015!! There was a healthy contingent of ClassicZ forum members there and the chatter here on the forum leading up to the show allowed us to find each other once we got to the show. There were ten or so of us that hung together during the event and I'm very glad we were able to do that. Prior to this event, very few of us had ever met face to face and because of that, you never really know what to expect when you do meet in person. Well, I have to say that my expectations were exceeded in every way and the ClassicZ people I met were some of the nicest, friendliest folks I've ever met.

I want to thank everyone that indulged me and went along with any of my hair brained ideas. Everything from carting my sorry asse to and from events and venues to climbing rickety structures for pictures to getting out of their comfort zones in sketchy neighborhoods.

I'm honored to have spent the time with you guys, honored to be part of the glove box signing, and thrilled to have had the opportunity to spend time together with the crew. Blue, Brianpilati, Jfaseries1, Mikew, Patcon, S30Driver, Siteunseen, Stevej, Zup... So to all you guys and gals helped make this a wonderful experience, thanks so much!!

Hope I didn't inadvertently leave anyone out!!

Some of my unique experiences?

I got to ride in my first series one car. Maybe you saw it? Jim - jfa.series1's car?  I think it won a couple awards or something? I failed as Jim's navigator, but in fact, it was actually a ploy to spend more time riding with him, chatting about past lives and technology that was cutting edge at the time, but few would even remember at this point. Thanks Jim!

I got to start Cliff's - siteunseen candle burning at both ends with a microbrew tour of Memphis. With horns honking behind him, he pulls his car over to the curb at the end of Beale Street, I pop the passenger door and jump in. We had never met before that... Cliff says "I'm completely lost. I got no idea where we are. Can you get us back to the hotel?" So did the best I could with my limited resources. No nav, no smartphone, and the only map I had was the one I posted earlier with the brewpubs as landmarks. We made it back to the hotel just fine, but we "had" to stop at three of the pubs along the way just to make sure we didn't get "lost". It wasn't that we WANTED to, it was strictly necessity. Thanks Cliff!

I got to spend a bunch of time with my buddy Philip - Blue and Mrs. Blue and share my non-tourist philosophy with Mrs. Blue. It turns out that the two of us had completely independently acquired the same targets when it came to food. And I also was learned that my ideas for restaurants was NOT what SteveJ and his wife were ready for. Thanks for indulging me anyway!! Thanks Blue and Steve!

I regret that I did not go out on the last night's food and drink expedition with Mike W. and crew. I unfortunately had an early flight the next morning and couldn't stay out partying till 3:30 in the morning as was promised :). I would have loved to go, but really needed to be sharp the next day! Thanks Mike!

I got to have a wonderful small group conversation and late night drink with Mr. M, one of his companions and Jim - S30Driver. I was trying to ask questions that he doesn't get asked frequently and it was great having Jim there to participate. Thanks Jim!

I got to meet my long lost brother Jim - Zup who's got a whole lot of experiences and perspectives on the world different than the average bear and I'm glad you're able to share them and stay sane. Thanks Jim!

I've got some (what I consider) interesting pics I took along the way and I'll get them posted soon. So thanks all for the wonderful experiences and I'll include more when I can!

• Like 3

Here's a couple pics from my Zcon adventures. Shot out the plane window while in the air on the way to Memphis.

My Atlantic Z Car Club hat so graciously given to me by Blue:

:P1070461_zps5pqzzkgr.jpg

And here's one that I took while I was out with Cliff at one of the brew pubs. This was at Wiseacre Brewing.

They said they normally offer a rainbow topping for the Saison, but they had sold out earlier that day:

P1070477_zps54ycoiwh.jpg

Those are two general pics. I'll put up some more of the ZCon specific shots in the pics thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/51932-some-zcon-pics/

John Coffey

Is Bill Coffey related to you somehow? He had a blue raced prepped Z at Zcon and I thought there might be a connection.

Also the John Morton car was a tribute car correct? I made a good many pictures under the hood to log the details

Yes, the BRE car is a tribute car. The owner is Randy Jaffe. He lives about half an hour from me. (I found that out at track day.) I'm trying to get him to join the GZC at Caffeine & Octane.

Of course, I'd love to get a photo shoot with the car at Road Atlanta.

Edited by SteveJ