IGNORED

Fuel Injectors

rcb280z

There is a lot of info available on this subject. Almost too much info. Has made it difficult for me to choose one over the next. Narrowed it down to 2. The FJ707 (FJ3?), or the FJ707T. Can't find any info describing the difference between these 2 injectors. What is the difference between the 2? What does the "T" stand for?

I installed these (FJ707) 3 years ago.f5fa_12.JPG Was going to send mine off to have rebuilt after installing these, why I bought the cheaper ones, but of course my originals are still sitting in the garage. Now I think one of the replacement injectors (a second one) is going bad (intermittent electrical issue). When it doesn't work I can tap on it to make it work. Haven't decided whether I'm going to replace them all so they all match or what I'm going to do just yet. I did replace a leaking one a couple months ago and now having the electrical issue with another one. Not sure of quality now. Shouldn't of had any issues yet IMO. Thanks for any input.

Yeah I see the pintle differences for sure. How about spray pattern or CC's? Can't find that info either.

Economy version is fine with me. I just can't find any "performance" info on them. Unless I'm missing it, like its right under my nose and I don't see it.

Edited by rcb280z

There's a page on the Standard company's web site somewhere that describes the T series.  I got the impression that the T series is just a cheaper version of the same injector.  The economy version.  Same rate and flow pattern though.  The stock Nissan injectors don't use any kind of formed flow pattern.  It's basically just a straight stream that blows up a little as it leaves the injector. 

Standard also make T series electronic parts, like ignition modules. 

Injectors are not "rebuilt", they're just "refurbished".  Maybe back-flushed, ultrasonically treated, a new inlet screen might be installed, but that's it. If they're screwed up inside, rusted or whatever, that is not fixed.  Barely worth doing with inexpensive injectors.

Standard Motor Products is on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/standard-motor-products/smp-expands-standard-t-series-fuel-injector-offerings/10150184320653954

Here's some cool blow-ups of the injector innards.  Don't forget that their job is to sell, sell, sell.  When you scroll further down the page.  

http://www.standardbrand.com/en/products/fuel-injection-fuel-system/

Standard brand T-Series is a fit whenever a commercially acceptable product is called for. That's good if you don't mind changing them out often when they go bad I guess. As what is starting to happen to me. Should have sent my OE ones in a long time ago to be rebuilt.

ZedHead, this is the same stuff I found too after posting this thread.

Site, how many miles do you have on these injectors? I may have 6000 on mine. Not very many to be having the problems I'm having. First one would leak down into the cylinder over a couple hours. Found it via a wet plug. Now have one with an intermittent electrical issue, not connector related. 

Edited by rcb280z

Despite the fact that OReilly Auto is known as just another cheap parts store, I've been pretty happy with their return policy.  I've even had parts replaced after they found the records on their own computer system.  They have a record of all of the stuff I've bought on my phone number.  You might try taking that injector in to wherever you bought it and asking for a replacement.

In principle, the FJ707's should be more dependable than the FJ707T's.  You could point that out when you take them in.

When I went through that smoke show, trying to choose the perfect injectors, I'd decided I was chasing my tail.  I bought the least expensive new ones I could, I'm leery of e-bay sales.  Fastwoman bought some FJ3s that look alot like your picture, http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/42603-fuel-injectors-fj3-or-fj707t/.  I liked the open pintle design of the 707Ts.  All the others would end up cracked like the OE ones I was replacing.

Anyway, I got interested in the 240Z and their simplicity, fuel-fire-air.  I don't have the patience to test the EFI components like y'all do.  I take the 280 out every now and then just to hear it howl, it's LOUD and keeps the neighbors mad and away from me.  :)

Yeah, like I said if I could go to that simplicity again (su's) I wouldn't hesitate. My problem is I want a perfect running EFI and am starting to realize that is not possible on a 38 year old system. And it doesn't help that California makes it harder to keep these cars with the extremely hard to pass emissions testing.  I may sell the 280 and get a 240. 

• Like 1

or go the other direction with megasquirt and you will be able to set up dual maps: one for power & fun, one you can switch to for the emissions test...

not as simple as carbs, but reliable and perfectly tunable. it's not efi per se that gets me, it's the old system and its limitations - great for its time, but you can't expect too much from it.