IGNORED

Mallory Distributors

CDL1542

Alright guys so I was planning on using a Mallory MAL 2363901 distributor and pertronix in my 11/70 240z but I just got an email back saying that they're discontinued and sold out. Every other place I've tried online seems to be sold out as well. I'm thinking of going with the Mallory unilite with mechanical advance (no vacuum advance) coupled with pertronix and was hoping someone else here might have had success with it and can give me some info. I'm going to be installing triple mikuni carbs shortly and plan on keeping the ballast resistor and using a 1.5ohm coil as well. If someone has done this before and could share what model they are using it would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note, I have looked into other options such as late model distributors and have decided that I want to go with a Mallory one and spend a little bit more. Thank you.

Chris

"Unilite" refers to the triggering mechanism for spark.  You shouldn't need any Pertronix parts.  Pertronix uses magnets, Unilite uses LED light.  

It should install just like the 2363901, except that there will be no place to attach a vacuum advance hose.

Thank you for the response! I have read that the modules can be very fragile and delicate and that they are susceptible to damage even during installation or can blow out if a surge of power goes to the distributor. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but I think that the pertronix parts have been proven to a greater extent and would be more durable and reliable.

Another question that comes to mind is the 'power filters' for the mallory distributor. Would a pertronix kit require this as well?

If you post the part number of the Mallory unit you're planning to install people can offer more advice.  I think that the fragility of the Unilite module was addressed by Mallory quite a while ago.  It may not be an issue any more.  Maybe that's what the "power filter" is for.

Both Unilite and the Datsun-focused Pertronix parts are old technology that has been farmed out to cheap manufacturers and is barely supported anymore by anyone, from what I've seen.  That's why parts are "out of stock".  The name still holds sway, but the product is not "high-tech" anymore.

I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.  Low volume product just doesn't get the company support that the money-making stuff does.  Not to harsh your mellow but something to think about.

http://mallory-ignition.com/mmy/results/index/?top=%E2%A4%B7+Distributors+and+Components&top-val=%E2%A4%B7+Distributors+and+Components&year=1970&year-val=1970&make=NISSAN&make-val=NISSAN&model=240Z+L6+2.4+LITER&model-val=240Z+L6+2.4+LITER&engine=Engine&engine-val=&trans=Transmission&trans-val=&brand=Mallory&brand-val=Mallory&mmy-sku=

https://prestoliteperformance.com/media/instructions/mallory/Mallory_Instructions_unilite_distributor_wiring_diagram_test_procedure_1214M_0000.pdf

This makes sense. I am looking at MAL-4563901. I'm thinking that I can just pick this up, keep it the way it is and drop it in with a new coil. The wiring for this power filter and what the specifications for the coil need to be are making me wonder though.

If you post the part number of the Mallory unit you're planning to install people can offer more advice.  I think that the fragility of the Unilite module was addressed by Mallory quite a while ago.  It may not be an issue any more.  Maybe that's what the "power filter" is for.

Aside from Mallory having been proven, the 123 ignition unit is also a couple hundred more than the Mallory. The original one I planned on sourcing is no longer available but the unilite is. If someone is running one in their Z now, I'd love to hear what they have to say!

If you can't source the Mallory, why not consider the 123 ignition unit and get something designed in this century?

You can't go wrong using the coil resistance specified for your 240Z and its ballast resistor.  It will be an old "low energy" ignition system though.  About the same overall effect as installing a Pertronix unit in the stock distributor.  And you'll want to think about your timing advance curves, to get best performance.

The Mallory site says MAL-4563901 is out-of-stock also.  So if the module does get damaged, you may not be able to get replacement parts.  More buzz-kill. 

It's a dilemma.  There aren't many ways to spend your way up to higher quality any more.  I get the idea but, from what I see, Mallory seems like a product on its way out.   Out-of-stock x 3.   If you have one, keep running it until it dies, but if not, another option might be a better starting point.

The ZX distributors, or 280Z with a high-energy module (HEI or MSD), seem well-supported, and easy to wire.  Not sure where 123 is business-wise, but they've been around with other car brands for many years so odds are they're safe.

Also note that all of these old hot rod brands are now under the name of Accel Performance Group.  They're just names now.  Prestolite, Accel, Mallory, etc.  Click through from a Mallory page and you'll end up on a variety of different pages with those names.  

Got carried away and found out the modules are out of stock also.  So, basically, any parts you find are just leftover from the last big manufacturing run.  If the demand is't high enough "out-of-stock" will change to "discontinued".  They won't make any more.

http://info.mallory-ignition.com/support/faq.html

http://mallory-ignition.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=605+module   (out-of-stock)

http://mallory-ignition.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=6100m+module  (out-of-stock)

I might bite the bullet on the replacement part issue but I am wondering if I could still just carry around a set of points to drop in there just in case something does happen. Guys have been doing that with stock dizzys with pertronix forever and in a pinch, it makes life a lot less stressful being able to carry them around in the glovebox. In the long run I'm thinking that if something happens to the module, I should be able to drop in a pertronix kit though.

The Mallory is a complete distributor designed for the Mallory module.  I don't think that points will drop in there.  Or a Pertronix unit (now I see what you meant in your first post.  I don't think that's an option).  I may be wrong.

The Pertronix is a points replacement product, used in the stock distributor.  Points will drop back in there.

I know one of the owners from 123ignitions (company: Albertronic bv) through a couple of chat forums here in NL. They have been making their distributor systems for citroens, and other european makes, reliably for years with very goed results.

A good modern system for our 40plus old cars.

Chas