1976 280Z Restoration Project - Page 242 - Build Threads - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1976 280Z Restoration Project

Featured Replies

  • Author

A lot of little touch ups. I can’t leave well enough alone it seems. Little pinholes and line straightening and I think I am close to having the panels ready for paint. 
 

 

D3A67690-9F99-4909-9511-8FFB0AEDA96B.jpeg

26E88CD2-D96B-4005-A704-4D10313EAC0C.jpeg

AB0A3536-4DE1-4721-BE60-5E1FCF3C1B7B.jpeg

86082D45-AAE0-47E2-8CB3-C008EF42BC1D.jpeg

 

434EED7F-3487-46B6-8EC0-1A7708BCE2C6.jpeg

Edited by wheee!

@wheee! Have you considered fabricating a couple of pieces to extend the drip rails (rain gutters on both sides of the hatch) that stop a few inches short of the rear of the car? Easy to do and they would stop water from collecting on the hatch latch panel.

  • Author
[mention=29917]wheee![/mention] Have you considered fabricating a couple of pieces to extend the drip rails (rain gutters on both sides of the hatch) that stop a few inches short of the rear of the car? Easy to do and they would stop water from collecting on the hatch latch panel.

I thought about it and decided not to. I had seen the mod done before but I don’t think it will be necessary as the car will rarely be driven and probably not in rain unless it occurs on a road trip. It will be a spoiled princess.... and it will be garaged all the time.

  • Author

Some more fun in the shop today...

cf925cac44480d98c9b904b2b2c6c5d3.jpg

  • Author

Some more clear coat to go on. Those speaker holes will be hidden under newer door cards. 

C5F5B04E-A40F-4F2E-A426-B00ECDB673E3.jpeg

15BE3F23-1CFD-44E7-8A71-19F7FB110DBF.jpeg

4EE17DDF-3BEA-4D15-BD56-5295E42A2DB2.jpeg

720BB72D-2A62-493E-AF0F-C71146E7628B.jpeg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

So far I have seen very little to no trash in the finish work. The door panel middles that are covered with door cards have a bit but that is because I didn’t prep them the same, just cleaned them.
I expect I will need to cut the finish clear coat on the car when I’m done, but the base coat is coming out flawless. I’m pretty stoked to see this coming along! The valance is the first piece of the cars outer work I have painted.
Tomorrow is the shells edges and doorways etc. Then the inside of the hood and hatch.

It would be interesting to see what you're painting in and the ventilation setup. My trash has gotten a little better but I am still trying to diagnose where its coming from

  • Author

Embarrassingly simple. A curtain of plastic/poly from ceiling to floor, and an industrial fan pulling fresh air from outside straight down through a filter onto the paint bed. I sweep and blow clean the floor first and that’s about it for these edge pieces.

41 minutes ago, Patcon said:

It would be interesting to see what you're painting in and the ventilation setup.

Me too.

  • Author

The details of the ventilation are in the beginning of the thread...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.