IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

60 gal 5hp compressor is really not big enough to properly blast a car and you will use lots of media. I always have a professional do my bulk blasting it is easy to ruin these cars if your technique is bad. my 2 cents

I don't disagree. I will only be blasting small areas of the car as i go (hopefully) so I'm hoping to get by. I don't want to blast any sheet metal body panels for sure. The blasting will be for the small places I can't get a stripping wheel into.

The local full body media blaster quoted me $2500 to blast the car..... I think I can manage without shelling out that kind of money!

I bought a 90# pressure pot from Bad Dog/Boy Blasters?? works pretty good if you do it in an area where you can broom up and recycle the media. Get a media screen so you can filter what you reuse. I also have a 3/4" hose from the compressor to the blasting pot with quick releases. Dont blast straight at any panels always at an angle. Remember the media is gonna go everywhere!!! Stay covered up and a dust mask or you will feel the sunburn...

All good info! I have basically the same setup you have described and have all the necessary safety gear. I have also designed the shop to allow me to enclose the car while I blast so I can contain the media fallout. And recycle it after filtering etc.

I will need to experiment a bit with media however. The copper slag doesn't bite a well as I hoped and the crushed glass leaves a beautiful finish but is slow and expensive! $50 per 50lb bag versus $10 per 50lb bag of copper slag.

Find a vendor in your area that supplies media to the local blasters. I know my guy locally and he has products like Amber blast in multiple grits. That guy will be the best resource for finding the right media for your project and equipment. Just remember even with a booth the dust goes every where, sort of like drywall dust. Let us know how it goes...

• Like 1