IGNORED

A Project Is Brewing...

rossiz

it's all blue's fault - he posted a link to the megajolt lite a while back and i've been obsessed with the idea ever since.

i set up an MSD ignition on one of my bikes a while back, made a little pickup to trigger off the cam layshaft. it works amazing and is so clean and bulletproof, and i was able to dyno tune significant performance gains with the advance curve from a laptop. love it.

i've been wanting to get rid of the spaghetti on top of the valve cover, as well as the wobbly dizzy and difficulty of playing w/the advance curve. i have no delusions about getting the kind of perfomance gains as on my bike, but it certainly won't be any worse, and i'm very concerned about dialing out any detonation since i'll often be running cheap gas.

gonna go w/the LS2 coil-near-plug setup and a crank-fired ignition. megajolt lite is the current strategy. don't want to use a wasted spark eids system as the coil pack is a little clunky, the dwell is limited to half the time for direct coil and it just puts spaghetti on the other side of the engine. from what i've read, the LS2 coils make a helluva spark and come with ignightors built in so i just need to send a sequential low-volt signal to them which the megajolt should be able to do just fine. will make a bracket to mount up the LS2 coils under the heater hose using the two threaded block bosses that hold the heater hose clamps. was thinking about coil-on-plug, but they get kinda tall & spindly looking, plus in order to have enough pigtail length to pull a single plug you wind up w/more spaghetti...

i've got to pick up a crank position sensor and will design an appropriate sized trigger wheel and have it water-jet cut for me at a local shop, then fab up a crank sensor mount on the front cover. 

then i plan to cut off the top part of the dizzy drive spindle, block off the dizy mount and enjoy the empty space around that side of the engine bay with no more coil, dizzy, etc. on the fender well.

crazy, i know, but it's all blue's fault...

• Like 2

You might want to read my megasquirt install thread on Hybridz. I think I also entered info here. I used the flywheel as my trigger and a 20$ Hall sensor. With the engine apart it's a good time to do this.

Probably more fun to design and make your own but here's a ready-made setup from a guy who seems to know what he's doing.  He's a Hybridz member and makes transmission adapters and other complicated things.  240hoke on Hybridz.

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/l-series-crank-angle-sensor-kit

Edit - forgot to say: I don't think that you need to cut your distributor shaft.  You can just remove it, the oil pump shaft has its own retention mechanism.  Or you could make a clear cover and fabricate a cool spinny LED thing.  That would be something.

Edited by Zed Head

cool setup zed, he definitely did a professional quality job and made what looks like a true plug-n-play with all the thought in it already.

i'm certainly not too proud to use someone else's design, but $225 is a little steep for me. i'm pretty sure i can get the wheel cut for under $50 including material and fab the sensor mount from scraps in my shop. it won't look as slick, but i'm not worried about someone sticking their head between my radiator and fan to see it.

and yes, i love a good challenge ;)

Probably more fun to design and make your own but here's a ready-made setup from a guy who seems to know what he's doing.  He's a Hybridz member and makes transmission adapters and other complicated things.  240hoke on Hybridz.

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/l-series-crank-angle-sensor-kit

Edit - forgot to say: I don't think that you need to cut your distributor shaft.  You can just remove it, the oil pump shaft has its own retention mechanism.  Or you could make a clear cover and fabricate a cool spinny LED thing.  That would be something.

How do you remove the shaft and still drive the oil pump?