IGNORED

Need Some Help Please

ddezso

Hi there.  I used to be active in this forum ages ago but three kids in a row took me out of the Z Car scene for a long time.

I've got a 1971 (build late 1970) 240Z that a few years ago I had running in top order.   The last time I drove the car was over a year ago, and after that time (started right away and ran great) I failed to start it for 9-10 months.

A few months ago I went out to start it and it just wont fire up.  I am not at all a mechanic and know very little about cars sadly.  I just love Z cars since I got my first when I turned 16.

Anyway - the car has a fresh new battery, it cranks and cranks.  I just changed the fuel filter and the lines were dry to and from the filter so it's clear I have a fuel problem.  I'm assuming I have spark but obviously that doesn't matter without fuel.

Here's my first question:  I've just changed the fuel filter and there was no gas on either line in or out.  After the change I cranked and cranked it assuming I'd get fuel to the filter but it's still dry.  How do I troubleshoot from here?  I am assuming a fuel pump issue or gummed up fuel in the tank.  What would you guys do next? 

Incidentally, I am trying to get it running so I can sell it.  I am in Scottsdale, AZ. 

Thanks

Derek

I'm pretty sure a late 70 build date will mean your fuel pump will still be the mechanical kind mounted near the front of the engine and if cranking the engine doesn't bring fuel up from the tank then the diaphragm in the pump could be ripped. You could also have a blockage in the tank or fuel line.

If you do have an electric fuel pump in the rear you will have to get under the car and test it.

I would first take the bigger fuel line off the fuel rail in front of the valve cover, straight from the fuel pump and put it in a clear bottle.  Then turn it over to see if it's pumping.  If it's not you could bypass the fuel tank which most likely is crudded up by taking a 2.5 gallon gas can with some gas and sit it between the radiator and the front grill.  Take the fuel line feeding the pump and put it into the gas can, bypassing the cruddy fuel tank.  Then put the smaller return line from the fuel rail into the can also.  If it pumps then that'll narrow it down to the tank being stopped up.

If your getting fuel to the hard fuel lines along the valve cover it could be stopped up carburetor filters or stuck floats or a ton of other stuff.  

We'd love to figure out what's wrong with your car. ;)  

Or even easier but not a good mouthwash, take the bigger hose off from the fuel filter and give it a good sucking to see if you get fuel up to there.  If it comes to there then it's pretty much the fuel pump.  It has an arm that works up and down off the front of the cam's nose, like an old push and pull water pump from old western movies.  You can remove the valve cover and see it it's broken.  It's at the front and works off an off center cup looking thing.

Spray starter fluid into the intake and see if it starts. If so, you have a fuel problem. 

Often cranking isn't enough to get fuel to the carbs with a mechanical pump.   squirt a little fuel or starting fluid in the intake and she will probably fire right up.

One of my 240k's had been sitting for about 9 years. Seemed no amount of cranking could prime the fuel lines so I poured a small amount of fuel straight down the throat of the single carb ( you probably have at least two carbs). Had to do it a few times but just needed to turn over faster I think. Start You Bastard ( spray) would be better if you have a helping hand.

Hey that's a good idea!  Our SUs have vents on top of the float chambers you could pour gas in somehow I suppose.

Could he shoot starter fluid in the mouths of the carbs?  Maybe raise the piston a little and open the butterflies with the linkage?  You should have a fire extinguisher or a hose pipe ready just in case things get away from you.  ;)

Maybe buy a low pressure, low price electric fuel pump?  I think Purolator has a square one for about $20.  I've used them on boat motors.