IGNORED

280Zx Dizzy Into 240Z: Need Vacuum Advance Replacement

spmg76013

Hi - I've replaced my stock 240Z distributor with an E10-80 from a 1980 280ZX. I've replaced the advance plate mechanism, magnet ring and now also need to replace the vacuum advance which bolts onto the outside of the dizzy.

Does anyone know the correct part number for a *single-line* vacuum advance which will fit into this distributor form/fit/function? 

Note, the original 280ZX vacuum controller had 2 vacuum lines -- I think one was advance and the other for anti-backfire retardation -- but I only need  a simple 1-line controller which has the correct mount hole location and arm length.

Thanks in advance,

Sean Gillen

Arlington, Tx

The rebuilt 280ZX distributor that I just bought has a single port vacuum advance. I also have a vacuum advance sitting around in my garage for a ZX distributor that I could swear is a single port. Unfortunately when I checked Rockauto, they no longer list the vacuum advance in their inventory.

22301-P7901 Still available from Nissan and Courtesy Parts. About $28.00 USD

This is a fully adjustable vacuum advance with both travel and tension spring pre-load being adjustable. Although a ZX part, it will fit retrofit onto most 280z distributors.

22301-P7901.jpg

Then visit the following thread learn how to Custom adjust these vacuum advances. GL:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/31615-280zx-distributor-advance-curve-reference/page-2#entry459813

Edited by Chickenman

I saw that and it seems it's for a sentra.

Don't know where you got that info from my friend, but it's incorrect.

Info for 22301-P7901 came straight off Jason Gray's excellent Z/ZX distributor page, plus P79XX parts are ALL ZX ( Standard Nissan parts  coding ).... and the factory Nissan Microfiche confirms it as linked in the above post.

I may be getting senile in my old age..but I still remember my Nissan part numbers ( I was  Nissan dealer Partsman for 18 years ).... although occasionally I do go to the supermarket in my Pajamas embeer.gif

22301-P7901 Still available from Nissan and Courtesy Parts. About $28.00 USD

This is a fully adjustable vacuum advance with both travel and tension spring pre-load being adjustable. It will fit all 240z, 260z and 280z distributors.

22301-P7901 IS a ZX vacuum control.

I was replying to what you said in Post #3.  If it is a ZX control, then it won't fit the Z distributors is what I was saying.  If my memory is right.  I have both styles in the garage and remember noticing that they were different. I could be off but I think I'm not.  I'm sure I'll check soon, just to be super-sure.  Nissan changed a lot on the ZX distributors, from the Z's.

Edit - Hey.  I had a bad memory.  I was positive that there's one vacuum canister that won't fit another type of distributor.  But, I did go out and swap the 280Z and 280ZX vacuum canisters and they fit fine.  I feel better now, sorry for the confusion.  Carry on...

Edit 2 - Must have been the points distributors I was thinking of.  For those swapping to electronic, they can't swap the vacuum canister.  So 240Z distributors would be off the list.

post-19298-0-27179300-1418516068_thumb.p

post-19298-0-71238900-1418516288_thumb.p

I saw that and it seems it's for a sentra.

I was referring to the OP's comment on 2 vacuum lines, not the picture you posted.  I read a lot on the internet and remembered reading this on ratsun.net, post #23  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40030-how-to-nissan-sentra-electronic-ignition-for-your-l-series/page-2 

IMG_8309.jpg

Just an FYI for everyone.  My original reply was to purchase a 22301-P7901 Vacuum Canister was for the OP, who noted that he needed to buy a new one for his ZX dizzy. 22301-P7901is an excellent choice, being both a reasonable price and being a Canadian spec model with a single line.

However, you do not need to buy one if you want a Vac Can that is adjustable. EVERY Datsun/Nissan electronic distributor that has the " Putty " blob on the end is fully adjustable for travel and spring tension. Both 6 cylinder dizzy's and 4 cylinder dizzy's. A really cool feature...

• Like 1