IGNORED

1970 240Z For Sale - Stunning Restoration

DatsunZGuy

Having done a few of these restoration's this is a $20-$25K maybe.  It's a nice car.  There is a mish - mash of parts in the engine bay....some correct clamps some Auto Zone clamps....braided hoses and non braided hoses.  Be interesting to see what it ends up at.

There are some really nice discussions about splash pans in the archives.  I just searched "splash pans" but for the life of me I can't get the copy / paste to work.  WTF?!!?!  Search "splash pans".  Down at the bottom of the page, there is a thread; "Splash Pan" that is four pages long.  That's a really informative thread.

I wonder - could we find 2 or 3 Datsun 240Z's in equal condition today - that the owners are willing to sell for $20K to $25K ?  I've had a couple guys looking for the past year - they haven't had any luck yet. They might be bidding on this car - I don't know. I know several guys that have these Z's - I don't know one willing to sell at that price.

Granted, I wouldn't rate this Z as a #1 Condition example, but you might be able to bring it up to a low end #2 Condition example with a little more attention to detail and a little more work. The undercarriage would need significant work - big mistake to put that much into the car - and black out the undercarriage, and get black paint on everything. Fine for a driver, not so for a Museum Quality example. 

Still - if you started with a very solid and complete example - you'd be in that $12K today. Then duplicate the work done on this Z - and you would spend another $30K, if you did a lot of the work yourself. Send it to a professional Restoration shop - pay the $75.00 to $95.00 per hour for labor, plus the $125.00 per hour for mechanical work and you'd be writing a check for at least $70K in labor alone. Now add the current cost of all the NOS parts you'd need, plus body work and paint. Easy to get up to $90K SPENT...

Someone in Europe or Japan might recognize a deal and be willing to buy ahead of the market.. I have no idea what the owner would take - but for anything under $45K today, I'd tell him to hold it another year.

FWIW,

Carl B.

It didn't meet reserve at $30,100.00, surprised to see it back so soon. It isn't really as nice or well done at this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-orinignal-Datsun-240Z-Series-I-Totally-Restored-1970-Low-VIN-/231389268988?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35dfe00bfc&item=231389268988&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

That is a super nice Z, lets see what the site nick pikcer's  have to say on this one .  

• 2 weeks later...

Same comments we're making over here.  Validation!

I guess if you don't need the cash right away, it's an investment of time to wait for the "right" buyer.  Like lurking out in the weeds for the right trophy animal to wander by.  Bagged him...$80,000!