IGNORED

Chinese Junk rant

240260280z

I see people buying stuff at the Dollar Tree like crazy. They don't care about "quality" stuff, and only care about cheap stuff. Nobody bothers reading the packaging these days.

Almost everything there has "Made in China" on the packaging, but the paper goods (plates, tissue, towels) and food items, and a lot of that stuff is "imported" or "distributed" by an American company. The $1 pocket knife I bought at the Dollar Tree fell apart the first time I tried cutting a box, and I ended up cutting myself.

You just have to be careful with whatever you buy. READ the packaging or the papers. LOOK at it all over for good design and good manufacturing. Also keep your receipts and warrantee cards for a year, and if you don't really like the product, tell the people who run store where you got it.You might even tell the BBB.

Edited by TomoHawk

I had a double post here, but why waste a good reply.

Here's something funny to think about. The people complaining here are the same type that will complain about how expensive and hard-to-get things are when trade with China is tariff'ed down to nothing. That's how business works. The reason we can all run down to the one of three or four auto parts stores , open 'til 8 every night, and pick up a new part for a few dollars is China.

That's fun to think about.

Future thread -

RIPOFF Parts stores. "I went down to the only parts store in town, which is only open 10 -2, and had to pay $10 for my part that used to cost $2. What a rip! Stupid American union workers!!! I'm going to start importing black market parts from China. We need to do something about these overpaid ripoff American companies!"

Edited by Zed Head

I hate to see two of our long-standing members quarreling like this. Let's try to set the example and word our posts a bit differently. Thanks.

Doesn't matter how you word things if you want people to join you in simplistic thinking. I'll bet that G2 filter he threw on there was made in China. Rationalize that.

I got sucked in to this conversation, so would like to end with something more constructive, along the lines of the car-based advice we all tend to give to new members. There is no simple solution. You just have to put the work in to get the results. Complaining doesn't get anyone anywhere, and just makes everybody involved feel crappy.

I got sucked in to this conversation, so would like to end with something more constructive, along the lines of the car-based advice we all tend to give to new members. There is no simple solution. You just have to put the work in to get the results. Complaining doesn't get anyone anywhere, and just makes everybody involved feel crappy.

Also, quality tools are usually purchased once and used for a long time. For instance I have a Fluke multimeter that has held up well for close to 15 years. My brother still has my dad's old Simpson meter (in addition to a Fluke) that has held up great for close to 50 years.

Maybe a good thread would be to rate parts & tools, especially the quality tools.

Sometimes the inexpensive can be good, too. I bought new front turn signal lenses and gaskets from Blackdragon Auto. They were much cheaper than the competition, fit well, and gave me no problems. They look really good, too.

Fluke Corporation is an interesting example of how the off-shore manufacturing model could work. I bought mine about seven years ago, a lower-end 115 model. I just looked to see if it had any "Made in..." markings but all it says is "Designed in USA". Not Made. It's of very high quality. But it was more expensive than most other options.

Constructive - give us the brand name so that we can avoid the product.

Nonconstructive - vague generalization about country of origin.

Knock yourself out. I wasted a day because the car came with this junk:

http://www.amazon.com/ss/customer-reviews/B000BWE4RC/ref=/181-9292704-5066453?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

mrg-42s_w.jpg

Edited by Blue

Now that you're done kicking the dog, do you think the problem was solely because of the pump quality or was there rust running through it? Why did you install the filter? In other words, do you think a Made in America (or Canada) electric fuel pump would have lasted longer?

The next level of constructivity would be to suggest a better electric pump. for those that don't have a supply of old mechanical pumps.

Just trying to end with more information that people can use. Mr. Gasket = bad, what = good?