IGNORED

2014 - The Year of the great Zed Rebuild

rick240

So, Thursday night was finish putting the engine together, do initial valve clearance adjustments, and run it for 10 minutes. Everything went swimmingly :D

Then it was on to old differential removal. Not easy with the wheels on (lost lock nut key), but not impossible.

post-12297-14150830404384_thumb.jpg

Last night was install the new diff project time. Getting the bracket with urethane bushing (the front strap replacement) to fit in a series 1 car was the toughest part - but we got done by 10pm.

This morning was final fluids, tighten bolts, final adjustments, etc. etc. as well as installing the cold air intake piping - pretty happy with how that turned out.

post-12297-14150830405268_thumb.jpg

and then drive away at 2pm - the new engine is so tight, and having a 3.90 rear-end is awesome :) I can hardly wait til the break-in period is over.

A couple last shots of the new engine

post-12297-14150830405925_thumb.jpg

post-12297-14150830406561_thumb.jpg

And then ready to park after the first drive...

post-12297-14150830407192_thumb.jpg

PS. The installation process of these last two weeks would not have been possible without the incredible efforts of Jim (zKars) - thanks so much.

Edited by rick240

My favorite part (always) is when they drive away smiling from ear to ear, or maybe when I listen to the sweet exhaust note fading into the distance, with their foot in it 'cause they can't resist... Glad to help you keep the dream alive.

Rick, it looks great! Your cable holder is much better than the one I hobbled together. Congrats.

Chris

Thanks, it's Jim's design - I can't take credit. He has fun fabricating (like the cold air intake box frame).

If the 2016 convention ends up in Toronto, maybe you'll see a bunch of Calgary cars - including Jim's and mine :)

I would love to see some dyno numbers or some idea of what the engine makes. By the way, love those Euro taillights...

Charles

There's a lot of stroker 3.1s with triple Mikuni or Webers and big cams that would make much higher dyno numbers, as it's really just a slightly bored out stock engine. But it's new, with all new parts, tight and stronger than anything I've had - so i am very happy :)

The Euro taillights are also from Klearz

Wow, what a nice clean Z! That looks like it would just be a nice tight car to drive. Something, kinda rare for z cars, alot look nice but have ratty interiors, filthy engine bays, strange noises, don't get me wrong, I love my loud, scary, dirty Z, but its been heavily abused like most Zs, this car just looks well taken care of. BTW what front spoiler do you run? Looks good.

Wow, what a nice clean Z! That looks like it would just be a nice tight car to drive. Something, kinda rare for z cars, alot look nice but have ratty interiors, filthy engine bays, strange noises, don't get me wrong, I love my loud, scary, dirty Z, but its been heavily abused like most Zs, this car just looks well taken care of. BTW what front spoiler do you run? Looks good.

Thanks - but over the 34 I've owned it, this one has scene a bit of abuse and made more than its share of noises.

I bought that air dam 30 years ago, can't remember details - sorry.