IGNORED

240k Race car - GTR tribute

mikec(nz)

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Head Work Done

Weld combustion chambers and Straighten head and re machine front and back.

Then Weld injector holesand CNC porting 1head

Then from Kevin Bann - Horsepower heads - "Write intake and exhaust programs to suit the build specification. The intake port is sized to 'choke' at 9000 rpm and provide peak torque at around 6000 rpm. I had to move and skew each intake program individually to line up with existing manifold. A lot of re-welding and re thinking the chamber because of the different chamber roof heights between this head and the old head. I ended up buying deeper valve seat inserts and lowering the chamber roof to gain compression while retaining flow past the valve. This will keep a stronger deck in the head as not so much needs machining off it versus keeping stock valve height."

Then Supply 12 extra deep valve seat inserts, machine and fit CNC machine valve seats and Surface grind head 1.6mm

Then we found the P90A head had hydraluic lifters which you can no longer source.  So bugger, but bought some inserts and fitted the stock solid lifters.

Just got in some 3.5mm lash caps from Kameria and now we can get the final cam grind done.  Heads should now be done in a couple of weeks,  Bugger my engine builder is in holiday in Europe.

We decided to fit the 260Z stub axles while waiting as they are a weak point.  Supposed to bolt straigh in!  Well maybe for the 240Z but definately not for the 240K.  Well thats another story.

head mod jan 19.jpg

L6 chamber.JPG

20190307_083117.jpg

20190307_083123.jpg

20190307_083235.jpg

lifter issues.jpg

Specs are 228cfm at .550" lift - Chambers are 38cc - compression hopefully around 11:1

Edited by mikec(nz)
  • Like 2

Yeah that's the cool thing about New Zealand(NZ) miles away from anywhere but some real talented motorsport people. Bumped into a guy just the road last week, he had a full CNC machine just in his shed for afternoons hobby work. Kelford Cams is also in NZ some of the top cams in the world. My head guy Kevin Bann worked for them for years. Now he has his own business Horsepower Heads, the cams are being worked on at the moment by Kelford Cams. There are five dynos within 20 minutes of me, three of them are dynapacks (also made in NZ) and one is my brothers LOL. We have two race tracks within 2 hours drive and it goes up to four if you want to drive another hour or two. We have rules that provided your race car is safe and can pass a warrant of fitness you can drive it on the road. I think I should stop now :) before I start raving on about Bruce McLaren and John Britton etc

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well been a few delays and a few dramas. But finally the new engine is all together and back with my mechanic.

We have to modify the sump, tweak the extractors/headers and make up new front pulley, but should be done this side of Christmas.

Couple of pics to keep the interest going.

Cheers Mike 

IMG_20191005_1712577.jpg

IMG_20191005_1712176.jpg

IMG_20191005_1712450.jpg

IMG_20191005_1712331.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...