IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

Matt, Looks great! Not to be Debbie downer, but that exhaust pipe looks pretty close to the ground. You will scrape it...been there, done that...no t-shirt.

Cheers, Mike

I hear ya, but the exhaust guy put it up as close to the body as he could with 2.5" piping. I guess i'll just have to be careful. :rolleyes:

So you have some spare voltage. I have a 210 amp welder. I wasn't sure your welds were penetrating as much as they could. I would have probably turned it up a bit but I don't think you will have an issue. Most of the load on the strust is compression. I like to be sure my welds burn in a little more around the edges. If you look at the welds in "Careless's"??  thread his puddles lay down a little more. He is TIGing I believe but the same principle. When I see them sort of bead up like water on oil I add some heat. 

post-22019-0-48076400-1431900246_thumb.j

Thats an excellent pic of the different welds. Yeah on my first strut the voltage was too low. By the third one I had it down good. But like I said I would've felt confident in just doing a few tack welds because the coilover slides over the housing really nice and tight. 

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem either. I guess the largest forces on the welds are them trying to rotate from braking or acceleration. With the whole circumference welded it aught to be fine.

• 2 weeks later...