IGNORED

Another Sunroof!!!

texasz

I haven't done one, but have seen many sunroofs welded shut on race cars. Some look like there was never one there, others look like someone used a spatula and dabbed JB Weld on it to seal it..

If you want it done right, you'd have to pay the price for someone who knows what they are doing....

Money is the key. I have seen one good job and many that look good for a year or so. Then the body filler starts cracking from flex. If you pay a pro they can keep the heat low and use little filler around the welds. Go cheap and they will flex the metal and need too pile the filler in so it looks smooth. Then the stress cracks will come. :finger: IMO your just better off looking for one without the hole OR pay a custom shop to install a slide back moonroof like the newer cars where it slides between the roof and headliner.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

I haven't done one, but have seen many sunroofs welded shut on race cars. Some look like there was never one there, others look like someone used a spatula and dabbed JB Weld on it to seal it..

If you want it done right, you'd have to pay the price for someone who knows what they are doing....

2many, you're killing me with the spatula!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Originally posted by carguyinok

OR pay a custom shop to install a slide back moonroof like the newer cars where it slides between the roof and headliner.

I almost had this done to my Z. But, I didn't know how it would work. Have you (or anyone else) seen the slide back sunroof installed on a classic Z?

I'd rather one that tilts up, then slides back like a Supra, RX7 or MX6 style.

You need a lot of roof to have a sunroof that slides between the roof and the headlining, or you're not going to have a very big sunroof. Remember there's a big roll bar type frame where the dome light is. And it eats into the headroom, as the headlining has to be thicker to hide the sunroof and mechanincs.

I have one of those glass tilt up sunroofs :sick: (I didn't do it).

I'm considering a metal lift and slide type replacement, or welding up the hole.

I have seen one 240 with a moonroof. I wish I had some photos.

The owner had one installed and it looked good. The only thing I didnt like was the owner had them use the glass style roof. I think if I was going this way I would use the metal roof painted.

I looked over the Z and talked with the owner. He said that the moonroof was installed as a fix for the 70s sunroof. The hole was there anyway and he was sick of the drips from the carwash. He said that it was not real hard for the shop to install but that he needed to get a custom headliner made for it.

I dont think I would cut a solid car but if it has a hole there its a good choice IMO. I was told he paid around $400 for everything.

How small sunroof it has to be that it has enoug room to slide back? It cant slide too many inches in z roof?! Can't imagine...

Have seen some rally cars with poorly shut sunroofs...

a friend of mine has made a proper z out of two. One was original finnish import that was badly rotten. well this guy bought a z that was imported from US some years ago. This one had the whole roof cut of. Some one had started a convertible conversion back in the US. My friend cut the roof of from the old finnish z and welded it on the later import. And it fits just fine...After few hours of hard work....:) So it has to be REALLY bad Z to end up as a donor car here!!!!