IGNORED

Mr. K's Yellow 240Z

26th-Z

There is a discussion going on the club's Facebook page about this picture. It is being identified as Mr. K's personal car and I wonder if this is true or not. I know the car. Have seen it many times. And even though I haven't talked to Johnnie since the Nashville convention, I was not aware that it has been, or ever was "restored". Especially to this level. The last time I saw Mr. K, I also saw the car. And I don't recall the car looking like this picture would lead me to believe; meaning looking restored and snappy!

Perhaps someone can help me out. When and where was this picture taken? Is this his car or a copy? No one on Facebook, even Carl Beck, can describe the picture with some sort of credible accuracy. (Go figure) And some smart-arse is giving me a hard time! (Go figure)

post-4148-14150826958364_thumb.jpg

OK, now I remember....

The car was/is a project build by a member of the 'J's Tipo' magazine staff in Japan, and the whole build was covered in the magazine in the late 1990s (!). They even took the car to the 2000 Z Car Convention in the USA.

Some scans from J's Tipo magazine. This was issue no.92, dated September 2000:

post-2116-14150826959126_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150826959611_thumb.jpg

No one on Facebook, even Carl Beck, can describe the picture with some sort of credible accuracy. (Go figure) And some smart-arse is giving me a hard time! (Go figure)

Chris,

I'm not a member of that Facebook group so I can't do cavalry charge to come to your aid ( or even Medevac you out of there..... ) but the build of this ( replica ) car was covered comprehensively in J's Tipo magazine in the late 1990s. The fact that the car even appeared at the 2000 Convention in the USA should ring some bells with the nay-sayers.

The photo of Katayama san inspecting the car after it had been painted was also in J's Tipo magazine, included in one of the build reports. Proof positive that people ought to at least try to keep original source information with the photos that they right-click-and-save.....

Thank you Alan, and thank you Stanley for posting that link. Alan, we have touched on the subject of picture-posting without reference / context on the famed social media site. A massive wall-wash, I recall you referring to it as a shuffle of the deck of history cards. The great thing about this new phenomena is that many historic photographs are making it to the digital world providing a 'brain-teaser' exercise for those of us who care.

Alan - what do you know about the yellow metal-flake 260 2+2 with the sliding sun roof that was given to Mr. K but seems to be the primary car for Mrs. K instead?

The short answer to that is..... absolutely nothing. Never even heard of it!

Sorry!

I saw it nearly 10 years ago or so at the old Nissan Headquarters after they dragged it out of the lower garage storage to put out in the parking lot for the ZCCA annual convention. The picture that 26th posted of Mr. K along side of the 240ZG was taken at the same event.

As explained to me the 260 2+2 came with a factory installed sliding sun roof (with the longer and flatter roof line it works and looks better than those put in coupes - if you like that sort of thing) and a factory yellow-white pearl (not metal-flake) paint job that was very impressive.

I was also told by Johnnie that Mr. K didn't like the 260 and gave it to Mrs. K to drive.

No idea were it is today....