IGNORED

Keeping my Z safe in LA

AldaMax

Hi everyone,

I'm actively looking for a Z in the LA area and I'm probably about to make a deal very soon.

One of my main issue will be to keep my baby safe. I'm not a fool and I know that there is no 100% secured protection for a classic car but I'll do my best.

Problem : I live in Venice and I'm moving into a new place with no parking spot and no garage (well, it's Venice). There is enough street parking though and the street isn't too sketchy, it's a relatively nice and safe area.

What would you advice to secure the car ? I don't mind going through the hassle in the morning removing whatever security is 'on' as long as it works pretty well.

I was thinking Club steering wheel lock, as a start, but what else ?

Removing an important mechanical piece so the car won't start ? (which one and where is it located? I'm still learning)

I'm also thinking of buying a car cover to protect it from UV and salty marine air. Maybe it's an additional theft protection or wouldn't they care at all ? (or worse, think the car is actually worth a lot more money...)

Any advice welcome about keeping the car safe and protected in West LA (or other similar urban area I guess)

Thanks!

I had removing the rotator cap work once. They ran the battery all the way down trying to start it but I got to keep the car. I have crazy ideas like a recording that makes the car sound like it is turning over when it isn't. Specifics might not want to be shared. There are immobilizers that come with alarms. New cars use immobilizers but the complicated electronics running the engine makes them hard to defeat.

On numerous occasions I have suggested removing the rotor. Thirty years ago, my family had to park our car in a hotel parking garage in SF. My brother pulled the rotor as an anti-theft measure. The car was always in the same place as we parked it.

A friend of mine had a normally open switch spliced into the starter wire going from the lock to the fire wall. He had the type of emergency brake where you pushed the pedal to engage and pull a knob to release. He set the switch so that you had to pull the brake release lever to close the switch and engage the starter.

His thought was that most car thieves want to be gone in under a minute. Even if the perp pulled out the ignition lock, it wouldn't crank. After two or three twists with a screwdriver and no results, the perp would seek another vehicle to lift.

Awesome, thanks guys. Rotor it is then.

What do you think about the steering wheel locks?

I heard that for a real theft it's probably going to be a piece of cake to bend and remove it ? But additional protection is always good I guess, especially when it's very cheap ?