IGNORED

Getting HP out of L28

CJolly

I have a 77 280z with dual SU carbs. I want to get some more power out if the motor and still drive it daily. I wanted to go to an oversized flat top piston, a shaved .080 P90 head, a stage 3 Schneider cam, a forged crank, and a new header. I was wondering what compression I should expect from the motor and could I still run 91 pump gas? Also will the motor run hot I'm running a 3 row 1 inch core aluminum radiator. Lastly could anyone tell me the HP I expect out if this setup.

-Thank you

NA builds are more spendy than most Cjolly. Since you are in California, I would stick to a compression ratio of 9:1, and not a drop more. 91 octane will have you fighting detonation all the time if you choose to push it. It is far more important to get the timing right, than to push for crazy compression. Ask me how I know. I have to run octane booster with every single tank I run in my Z to run the appropriate timing curve my L28 likes. I am probably running too much compression, about 10.5:1, and 93 octane does not like it. A bigger cam may help, also a larger combustion chamber, etc. It is better to build it right and safe from the onset.

You do not need a forged crank. A OEM Datsun Crank is very strong and just getting it trued is enough. Also, get the whole thing balanced, but most OEM rotating assemblies came balanced from the factory, so you just need to verify it. Concentrate on getting your induction spot on and having an nice free flowing exhaust. Timing, induction, and exhaust will make you a wonderful little torque'y L28. You are not going to be making big impressive HP numbers, but you will have a very responsive and drivable engine.

Ummm- L28 HAS forged internals already ( crank & rods). You would be pissing money away for anything else. It's all in the head. P-90 shaved would be great, but you need the flat tops to compliment that. Might consider finding a zx flattop motor and work the head( p-79), or just use the block with your P-90.

As far as detonation, using a modern design chamber like the P-90 or 79 should help deter that.

C/R ......9.7 to 1 to 10 to 1........h.p. .......180 to 190 at the crank....160 to 170 h.p. at the rear wheels....all numbers based on shaved P90 head and .040 over flat top pistons and a Stage III cam. As Steve says....detonation should not be a problem with the modern P90 head. Just make damned sure you've got someone building the motor that knows what they're doing. The total cost of a professional build should be about $4,000.00 give or take. It's a perfect street motor.....you'll really enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have one more question and I don't want to ask stupid questions. But I'm expecting this build to go pretty easy. I'm just worried about the head so Just to double check the head should bolt rite on. ?

Might download the Motor vehicle code, possibly there's an exemption in there. So a CAT won't do it? Back in the 90's Ben Franklin would have solved that problem. Otherwise, any mods they can't see plus C.A.R.B. approved intake and exhaust mods are ok.

Saw a late model Honda Insight last weekend that went zero to sixty in about 4 seconds - had to be an engine swap, don't think the stock 88 HP would do that. Maybe they swap the stock engine back in for emissions test.