"when I took the link out the connector didn't have a third prong. So is it supposed to be that way?" Yes my 84 200SX was wired with the 3rd wire because mine had factory fog-lamps.

"And what is the next step?" Fix the know bad connection you found at the fuel pump.

Also what is a baluster? IT is a part connected to the coil it is made of ceramic with a coiled wire inside, if the wire is broke it's bad. Some the ceramic and wire are exposed others are in a cad color box. Exact location in the engine bay on 280ZX I can't remember.

FYI crossing power like you did can create surges and ruin coils so if you have a spare like I always have around I'd recommend attaching that for now.

Would the broken fuel pump cause the ECU not to allow the ignition coil to send a spark? Where is a good place to get a new fuel pump? Nissan doesn't have any more and I hesitate to get one from a place like AutoZone, Advance Auto, or Pepboys. Blackdragonautomotive.com only has them for non turbo models. Also is there such a thing as a adjustable fuel pump incase I upgrade the car later on?

I will check the ignition coil this weekend. I am 99.9% sure that there isn't a ballast. There is a Transistor ignition unit which is #22020. Here is a picture of what I am working with. There is a smaller picture of the coil and the transistor unit off to the right. www.nissanpartszone.com/diagrams/large/S130/nissan-280zx-ignition-system-220001.png

Edited by DstrbdSuperman