So awhile back I tried to jump start my 1982 280zx turbo. Foolishly I swapped the posts on the battery popping a fusible link which I replaced. I have also replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and ignition coil. But I am still left with no spark. I feel like a huge doofus because if I had swapped the posts the car would be fine. Also I did get a new battery but it has lost charge because it has been sitting but I can jump start it without a problem using the correct posts this time to try and start the car but I am still left with no spark. I do know that a possible problem is the ECU. is there a way to test that and anything else going forward? Because all other possible solutions going forward I know can get costly quick. So I am trying to avoid buying unnecessary parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lengthly non response. I had a problem with my computer and couldn't log on and respond. I am going to try and get to testing the links this weekend. As a non mechanical/electrical person what do I need to look for when using the voltage meter? I have one I just don't know how to use it completely. And just incase what do I need to check next?

Edited by DstrbdSuperman

Sorry for the lengthly non response. I had a problem with my computer and couldn't log on and respond. I am going to try and get to testing the links this weekend. As a non mechanical/electrical person what do I need to look for when using the voltage meter? I have one I just don't know how to use it completely. And just incase what do I need to check next?

If you have a volt/ohm meter, simply pull the fusible links from the box located on the passenger wheel well. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST! Put your meter on "ohms" and test from end to end. If you have continuity replace then go to next one. That the easiest way. Be sure to change meter to DC voltage if you decide to test it "hot". Oh, be careful to pull "low" on the wire...you don't want it to "pull out" of the connector. It's not a big deal to replace, but it's just something you have to bother with...

The lights on the inside do come on(with proper jumpstarting). The there is power getting to the ignition coil. but no spark is leaving the coil. A separate and unrelated issue is that the fuel pump needs to be replaced due to the fact that electricity connection is broke. I am working I tracking that down as well as trying to solve the no spark issue. I will be checking the links in a little bit and will post the out come in a few hours. Thanks for the help.

Two things if power is going into the coil and not out check the baluster, you may have blown the balister and/or the coil. I know the early 300ZX had a fusible link to the fuel pump I'd check for that first for the fuel problem. At the nearest connector to fuel pump with the ignition on see if you are getting power.

The connection for the power to the fuel pump is broken at the fuel pump. So I have the figured out for the moment. the above pictures show the fusible link cover with the diagram of how the links should be placed. the second photo shows the link in place. The third photo shows the middle link that is suppose to three connections but it missing one. and when I took the link out the connector didn't have a third prong. So is it supposed to be that way? And what is the next step? Also what is a baluster? Where is located? And how do I check to see if it is bad?

Edited by DstrbdSuperman