IGNORED

Looking to make a "square" L24 with LD28 crank...

DavidBoren

I am speaking out my arse. I admitted my ignorance right off the bat. Thank you to the three, or so, of you that actually had something useful to say. The rest of you retards that jumped on the opportunity just to starting bashing my self-admitted ignorance should take a long walk off a short dock.

Hi David,

I read this a couple of hours ago and its been bugging me ever since. My conscience tells me better, but I have to give my 2cents. I find it harsh and not knowing the situation of others could be offensive.

You will always get advice from different view pounts. Thats how a community forum works and the comments Ive seen in this thread are not so roughand all trying to get their point of view across. Its up to you to sort through the advice your given and make an educated decision.

For an eye opener you should copy your first couple of posts and post them in Hybridz. It would Literally be the roasting of DavidBoren.

With this post I will submit myself to the category "not the three or so". So be it.

Cheers chas

Edited by EuroDat

Edited - Never mind - I do need to say though, that using the word "retard" in today's world is a sign of true ignorance. David needs to become more aware of the world around him, in general.

...How do I "retard" my timing in today's world then?:)

BTW I have a daughter who is special needs...

I've read somewhere, maybe Racer Brown's book but don't remember for sure, about the benefits of a "square" engine. IIRC the concept involves having a bore that is at least equal to the stroke. By that criteria, a stock 240 is already "square".

If $5000 is you budget, and you want a daily driver with some autocross potential, it might be possible. If compression and oil pressure are ok you could do cam and a valve job, total or partial refresh of the SU's, 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler, lower it a little and refresh the suspension, new sticky tires and brakes. And lots of tuning, but that's more time than money. You'd cream a stock Z and a lot of other cars at the light and plenty power for twisty roads.

...How do I "retard" my timing in today's world then?:)

Now there's some humor. If we were talking about timing, it's just an edgy joke. DB had ill-intent though. He could have made his point without that final paragraph. It's one of those things that you write, then think better of before posting, if you put the time in to thinking. DB's just not thinking things through very well. Now he's always going to be "that guy".

So David, I intend this to address your original query, but could we start from a different perspective? You realize you may be the owner of possibly a very cool car, and you are enthusiastic. Excellent! Let's pose to the group here, where there is a lot of maturity; I for example, owned my first series1 when it and I were very young. It became a an 327 with raw power unbecoming its previously suave unassuming ability to knock any camaro or mustang back. I was young and enthusiastic. I still have a lot of enthusiasm for the series 1 I've been dragging around for about 25 years as the last car I intend to build. So let's say we've just had one of the coolest cars ever, not only for its historic interest, but great handling and power in its day dropped in our lap. I'll bet if you could get the brakes, suspension, interior, body, etc looking and rolling as you would like it to, you would be very proud of your car, assuming you and your fiancé are tight in a long term relationship, and there is a great joy in doing this sort of thing ground up with her support. As for the engine, see what condition it is in and could it run with minor expense. Then, pose the question: hey, if you just got hold of a series 1, what would you do? And you will find that question answered in a variety of ways. We've all seen or started tough projects that may never get finished. Fortunately, Z's have been so popular that pretty much everything is out there to build one any way you please. Folks here like a good project and will be very helpful. Start the dream over. It's still good. Learn as you go, do as much as possible yourself, and you will be driving it and grinning bigger sooner. Get a catalog and make an outline of each area, such as brakes. List every possible part you would need to simply rebuild the car to driveable. See how much money you have left to buy some nice wheels and new seats and stereo. You will have a hard time keeping up with installing all those cool parts on a basically stock Z. Then, when adding power or economy even, the engine work will declare itself. Lighten up a little, ask forgiveness, and not only will you find good advice, but people here who have extra parts and time and money-saving mechanical skills. My Z desire: the drivetrain from one of my other favorite cars, BMW e24 635. Why? Several reasons, but mostly because...I have it all, electronics and all, and lots of experience and huge amount of patience. Peace. Jim

I do sincerely apologize for any offense caused by my language. If I had taken the time to read what I had written before posting, I would have not used such a word.

A lot of this build has just been day dreaming of what I could do. I get away from reality sometimes. And it was not right of me to get defensive and lash out at those of you whom where simply trying to give me a reality check.

Now that I have my feet a little more firmly planted on reality, I do have a couple questions...

I am absolutely okay with using premium fuel only in this car as it will not be a daily driver, so my target is somewhere around 10:1 compression... is there anything else I need to worry about raising the compression that high in this engine (assuming the engine is structurally sound enough to use at all)? Special head gasket? Head studs?

Will zero-decking the block, or shaving the head, negate the use of larger valves?

If I am not overboring to add displacement, and I just re-needle the SU carbs, would larger valves be worth the hassle?

And cam...? Something with good street manners that will compliment a high-compression L24. Do I have to go aftermarket, or would simply using a different L-engine cam be a better choice?

Great Dave, glad you're back! You have just enrolled in a lifetime course of study. Most of us us have done considerable reading and debating the points you wish to know. Now, some questions for you. Have you dragged, pushed, begged the Z into a decent, comfortable, lighted work space? How long has the car been sitting? Inside? Outside? Do you have a clear title? All cars, new or customized, are a collection of compromises, i.e. power vs economy; I think you want power. Comfort vs tight handling: you have a smooth ride already. Highly modified, close specs motor vs starts easily and runs smoothly for your fiancé. I suggest you start a library of engine building literature and cruise forums to learn how the variables of generations of internal combustion motors have been designed. Too tight internal tolerances may work theoretically, but, due to heat and friction can result in seizures or rapid wear. Custom building is a jigsaw puzzle in which every piece has to work together for the whole to work. Study. Study. Study. At nineteen, when I decided my first needed more "old school" grunt, I took it to a reputable? independent German car shop for a better cam, valves, etc. $950 investment blew out the bottom of the motor within a month, and there was no recompense. So, since my buddies were into Chevys, we installed a modified 327. It lost its original flavor and handling characteristics. Too aggressive for my real needs. Sorry, another long post, but I'll conclude with the speculation that some purists would berate me for bringing up the name of Albrecht Goertz. Goertz was an industrial designer, having worked on BMW styling and arguably may possibly have contributed some elements of the original z and Toyota 2000gt designs. There are also familial connections between Datsun, Prince, and Mercedes engine designs. So, since I loved the big six from the overweight 635, I just thought a small personal tribute to Goertz would also be a great car. Ok. I put that out there in good faith I'm not offending anyone's sensitivities. My daily driver is a 1976 BMW 2002 with m42 engine, 5 spd trans, all electrical and electronics, FI, CPU, from a 1991 318is (a particularly nice twin overhead cam w/header) I added rack and pinion and a limited slip diff from other BMW models. Anyway, even keeping it in the BMW marque, and keeping fabrication to a minimum in order to easily replace parts, it was about three years of intense study and practice to get it right. Much improved over the original carb, 4 speed, truck-like behaviors. It has started and run perfectly in any climate conditions for about five years with no maintenance other than oil changes. Do it carefully, do it right, and it will work reliably. Patience and careful planning and extreme attention to details! Now, start with a good cleanup and try to rejuvenate any parts to functional and you will build confidence and skills. Good luck with your fabulous find! (Given any thought to electric? Ha!) Peace! Jim

So, I'm laid up with a muscle strain, otherwise I'm not into other peoples lives, yet visiting this site frequently, I find it a really good site and your story interesting, that with good intent, no real knowledge of your situation, and no legal responsibility, I would toss this caveat: be sure you consider all parties involved or interested and transfer the title whether you register and plate it or don't, before you act. I hope that everything works out. On this site, pick a thread like "how do I change my head gasket?" Or, "what rims and tires?" You will learn a lot. Enjoy!