IGNORED

Uhm. I think thats supposed to be attached.

So my car was making a strange noise when moving slowly, and turning sharply.. Like when pulling out of a parking space, for example.

I investigated and found this:

post-27888-14150825689469_thumb.jpg

post-27888-14150825690245_thumb.jpg

Looks like the right-front T/C rod or bushing? I'll have shop time to fix it Monday. Do you think the bushing is just bad, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?

Do you think the bushing is just bad, or does the whole thing need to be replaced?

I'm seeing more issues than just a bad bushing... There is supposed to be a threaded portion on the end of that rod, and it's not there, The whole rod snapped clean through. You're gonna need a whole new T/C rod for that side. Look closely at the other side for more details.

If you have not played with the order of things, I cant see how the bush did anything. I think the PO might have assembled it wrong which could explain the failure. Is the other side assembled like his?

I had those same PU bushes you are/were using. They affected the steering in bumpy corners when cornering hard. The car seemed to skip over the bumps. When I had them out, I fitted one TC rod without connecting it to the control arm. It was so stiff, there was almost no flex in it at all. The rod did most of the flexing. The PU bushes have a small groove around the outside. The deeper the groove the more flex and less stress on the TC rod.

I ended up changing to the T/C rod kit form MSA Motorsport! Tension Rod T/C Kit, 70-78 240Z-260Z-280Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts. On the back side I used a standard bushing kit. Just need one kit to do both side because you only use half of the kit per rod Motorsport! Tension Rod Bushing, 70-78 240Z-260Z-280Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts. The flex was a lot better and the car now steers better.

I have seen kits with the TC bushes that have grooves 8mm and even deeper. I dont know if they are any better than the original, since most of the rubber has been removed at that point meaning all the forces transfer through a smaller area of rubber.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

Mine broke the exact same way after I installed urethane bushings on both sides, front and back. It's why many recommend rubber on the back and urethane in front.

When the suspension moves and the TC rod moves with it, the end of the rod (that's missing in your picture because it broke off) has to move also since the pivot point is between the bushings. As the rod moves down, the end moves up, and vice-versa. The back urethane bushing doesn't allow free movement, and has a good lever length on the tip of the rod, plus it's very strong so eventually a fatigue crack starts at the thread shoulder and the threaded portion breaks off.

If you decide to go with the stock TC rod, put the stock rubber bushings on the back (you can get them at RockAuto). It's only stressed when braking in reverse or when you back the front wheel in to a curb (that's when mine broke) so you'll still get the benefits of tighter suspension when driving and braking. You'll notice that some of the groaning and creaking from the front end disappears also.

Here's a thread I started when it happened, with more details. Note the part about the control arm bushings. My arm bushings were shot also, which probably contributed to the breakage.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/suspension-steering-s30/37660-1976-t-c-rod-broke-polyurethane-bushings.html

Edited by Zed Head

I see them in in the wrecking yards. Many are slightly bent though, as jmortensen has noted in previous posts.

They seem to be available new still, but expensive -

Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Front Suspension (Strut & Shock Absorber)

ROD-COMPRE :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Then there's aftermarket, more expensive - https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/tension-control-rods-datsun-240z-260z-280z

I see them in in the wrecking yards. Many are slightly bent though, as jmortensen has noted in previous posts.

They seem to be available new still, but expensive -

Then there's aftermarket, more expensive

Ugh. Well, I guess it could be worse. I'll check my local sources and the wrecking yards.