IGNORED

'73 240Z - The subtractive process...

gtom

and how much weight do you believe you have removed by junking these items ?

I think side mouldings offer meaningful protection especially on a car with good quality paintwork...what about the dash ? presume it's cracked ...you going to repair it..?

I dunno... I feel it's easier to add hp than save weight..

I don't know either, but it sure is piling up fast, that's for sure. I could lay it all out and have a yard sale. :) How much does it all weigh? Don't know, but it would be interesting to see what it all adds up to. Kinda like going to the grocery store and totaling up all the junk food you bought.

Yeah, side moldings might help, but you'll still get dings. Besides, I think they're tacky IMO and also I don't plan on making this car a daily grind grocery getter. Yes, your presumption that the dash is cracked is correct. Honestly, I haven't thought much about repairing the dashboard at this point, but I did see some good posts on the forum on this subject. Wait...Oh yeah, I did remove the dashboard cover, didn't I. Way back, a guy at Datsun Sports named Mike Young once told me that the dash cracks show character. I would call it patina, but it could be that or he was just trying to sell me a car. Haha. Just kidding Mike if your reading this.

Yep sure, adding more hp always helps, but didn't Colin Chapman say something like...?

Wow, great find for low rust and very little undercarriage damage.

Hey thanks! I bought this car sight unseen and it has turned out to be a real low rust gem so far. I especially like how original the undercarriage is...factory undercoating and paint as far as I can tell.

gtom - doing both is better :-) I have a 74.4 260z with factory a/c. ..& for the longest of times have been thinking of chucking the a/c to save weight, but have always been talked out of it because folk keep telling me it adds value / sale (ability) !. The system works, but it's a 40 y/o design so will never be ice cool like the modern units. Any one have any idea what the weight saving will be here ?

do u have plans for more power ?

gtom - doing both is better :-) I have a 74.4 260z with factory a/c. ..& for the longest of times have been thinking of chucking the a/c to save weight, but have always been talked out of it because folk keep telling me it adds value / sale (ability) !. The system works, but it's a 40 y/o design so will never be ice cool like the modern units. Any one have any idea what the weight saving will be here ?

do u have plans for more power ?

Yes, I get your point. For me, I think it kinda depends on your regional climate too. My car was from SoCal, so I can see how a working AC system can add value down there. But up in here in NorCal (SF) I don't really use AC much if at all. On my modern cars I only run the AC once a month, if that, for about half an hour to keep the seals from drying out. (I think I'm supposed to do this once a week. not sure) Anyway, now it seems as I've gained more legroom on the passenger side, the crank pulley is freed up, and I love how uncluttered the engine compartment is starting to look. As far as weight goes, its probably not that significant, but a little here and a little there can add up. This is funny because people were saying on MSN that if you took your golf clubs out of your trunk, you would save gas! LOL

More power? Probably, but that's a different thread. :)

Cheers!

my '73s bumper overriders saved my taillights from certain death when I got rear-ended. Bent the rear one up though. Perfect part to have on a daily driver grocery getter Z!

Hey cool, uh I mean sorry to hear. Just kidding. :) If you need another set, I've got 'em.

Been looking at this stuff for a while now. Waste removal begins.

Do you still have the emissions air pump shown here? If so, and it works correctly without squeeks and chirps normally associated with noisy bearings and seals,

these could be useful to a restorer concerned with originality. The bearing and seal kits to rebuild these emissions pumps are NLA.

Same thoughts apply to the A/C system also shown in posts which appears to be in very nice condition, another important item, even though it is a

dealer add-on.

Dan

Nice find ! I would put some new undercoating on the car, now you cleaned it.

Yes, there are a few places that need treatment and sealing, but the majority of the factory undercoating is still intact and in good shape. Although the car is garaged, these spots need to be taken care of, hopefully sooner than later.

Nice clean example. What are your plans for the car?? with your obessession on weight reduction, it sounds like you are prepping it for racing.

These cars are a blast on the race track.

Marty

Thanks Marty. Plans? At this time I'm just focused on making the car as clean and simple as possible with no smog and other add-ons to take to the streets. So for starters, new carburetors and exhaust then suspension and wheels/tires. After that, I haven't thought about it yet. So the z is a work in progress. :)

The '73 112 as of today -

post-6276-14150825524132_thumb.jpg

Edited by gtom