IGNORED

Throttle Valve SW - No Continuity ('75 280Z)

rsperegrin1

Hello,

Noticed the harness to the TV SW disconnected when I bought the car, not running, 2 weeks ago.

Started following the SM section EF "Engine will not start." I received no continuity between 2 & 18 (idle) and 3 & 18 (full switch).

The harness to SW connection is not tight and both male and female connectors are mildly corroded.

1) I don't understand what the SM means when it says to "Check the circuit indicated by large solid lines in Fig XX." What do you check?

2) Do I replace the harness to get a new female connector? If so where do I get one?

3) Do I replace the TV SW? If so where do I get one?

Thanks

Robert

1) It just is using the figure as reference for the path of electricity so that you have a visual reference.

2) Go here S30 and S130 Wiring Harness repair kits. You NEED this if you have an L28E or L28ET! - Parts for Sale - HybridZ, it is a full kit (minus 1 EV1 style connector) or you can just go to his eBay listing Datsun 240Z to 280ZX Wiring Harness Repair Kit EV1 TPS and afm Connectors | eBay. This will be helpful to you how ever you look at it, since you will probably need to replace other connectors too, and he has a great price on them. He also has them with pigtails if you rather go that route for a few dollars more.

3) Only if the continuity tests directly at the switch doesn't work. No sense in spending money you don't have to. Options you have are either junkyards for other cars that used the same fuel injection system (anybody who wants to chime in on specific models feel free to) or buy new. I searched online for the typical parts stores, and NAPA or Advance Auto Parts may actually be able to get them, though I am not 100%, they just didn't show "unavailable" like Autozone and Oreillys did. Just click on the name of the store, I put the link straight to their selection in it.

pakmule offers good advice.

Many of the older Volvos have the same three wire connector that the TPS uses. They also have the same style of injector connectors, but of a better design. If you can get to a wrecking yard with Volvos in it you'll probably find a replacement that will get you by. If you need it.

If you want to test the TPS itself, I think that it has numbers molded in to it to indicate which pin attaches to which circuit. I would test at the ECU connector first though, if it fails there it could be the wires (which is what the FSM means when it says "check the circuit") or the TPS itself. The pin numbers at the ECU are the same as on the TPS.

p.s. I've heard good things about FricFracs connector package if you decide to replace your old ones with new. Junk yard parts tend to be stiff and dirty.