IGNORED

Fitting 240Z bumpers and Valences to a 280Z

EuroDat

Got all my brackets and even a tow hook from Chas today. Everything in great shape and excellent quality in manufacturing. Front bumper mounting will be a breeze with these brackets but I need to wrap my mind around doing body work and paint on the back of the car to properly mount the rear bumper. Maybe this summer....

Regardless, thanks Chas for taking on the fabrication of all the versions of the mounting brackets and your outstanding customer service!

• 1 month later...

Finally had time to use Chas's brackets. It was tough getting the ends bolted down below the front marker light but after loosening the front spoiler and inner fender I was able to access that area with my hands and the tools I needed. The brackets to the frame and my 240 bumper were super easy, 30 minutes. The 10mm bolt on the ends took about an hour. LOL

It's nice and sturdy and ready to be painted, not by me though, I'm selling that car most likely. 

Thank you Chas! 

20160702_093134.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

The brackets to the frame and my 240 bumper were super easy, 30 minutes. The 10mm bolt on the ends took about an hour. LOL

20160702_093134.jpg

Thanks foor the feedback. Nice to know they well. There is a guy over with them fitted and he said fitment was perfect, but he is using the fibreglass type like me.

I had about the same experience with the side bolts. After doing it about 5 times during testing, I got it done to about 20minutes:D

• 4 weeks later...

Nicly done. Like I mentioned in our mailings, didn't think my brackets would work on a 260Z. You proved me wrongLOL

I'd like to see a photo of the 6mm washer you needed. The 260Z shocks must have a different profile where they bolt to the frame. I needed a 6mm washer for the rear mount (see photo, washer not fitted yet) on the towing attachment.

Ps: Like your garage. Clean and plenty of room. Not like mine.....

20160726_103858.jpg

Here's the best terrible photo I could come up with.  What I actually did was bend the bracket left at the blue line, then bend the front of the bracket inwards to compensate.  I think that if there were a roughly 6mm washer at the red circle area, or possibly both front and back bolt holes it would bolt straight up.  I am also using a different set of bumpers than you and while my car looks straight it's entirely possible that it's less than perfect.  I would say these brackets fit with a slight disclaimer indicating that some fitting will be required.  I'll be working on the rear bumpers next and I think I have them figured out.

260z bumper bracket.jpg

• Like 1

I know what you mean by tolerances. I have measured 3 280Z's first hand and the distance between both sub-frames ranged from 736 to 748mm. Now I know why Datsun used slots in the brackets. I don't think the tolerances wrer that big when new because the shocks have small slots to compensate for tolerences, but not that much.

I ended up asking a coulle others on the forum here and they pm or postd the info here. Then I usd my sub-frame measurements (742mm) and madd the slots to fit.

Screenshot_20160727-221222.png

BumperBoltSpacings.pdf

• 4 months later...

Rear bumper brackets also worked on the early 260z!  Actually i think they fit better than the front.  Slight modification:  The fenders on the early 260z look like they are the same as a 240z but have some square nuts tack welded to the inside of the fender.  I drilled these out and used the regular mounting hardware for the Z store bumpers and everything bolted right up

20161211_102259 - Copy.jpg

20160723_115252.jpg

• Like 2