IGNORED

Steering lock removal

pantherf9f

what tool removes the bolts?

I used a hammer and the corner of a small chisel to carefully tap the domed screw heads in a counterclockwise direction. Once you get them to move at all, they turn pretty easy. I second the tip in the thread on zcar.com about tightening up the Phillips screws first. Takes some of the tension off the security screws.

I usually ask someone to show me the title to the car before I show or tell them how to cut ignition collar security bolts off.... in a private email that doesn't share that info with the whole world....

I wouldn't worry that much about it these days. The archaic anti-theft features from the 70's... I'm sure that anyone who wants to steal a car this old will already know how to defeat the system or can figure it out. Heck, I know I did, and I'm not that bright. :bulb:

I usually ask someone to show me the title to the car before I show or tell them how to cut ignition collar security bolts off.... in a private email that doesn't share that info with the whole world....

And your caution is duly noted.

However, this is by no means the first time that this has been asked, nor the first time that it has been discussed.

Aside from that, by the time they have the car disassembled to the point where they can see what is needed to remove the lock screws, it doesn't take a lot of genius to give up and just use a drill and a bit.

So, while your caution is admireable, the public berating you've bestowed upon Steve, would have been better in a PM than in the open.

E

Or, if you don't need slots (have a new lock with new screws) use a small sharp punch to make a small hole on the side of the screw heads, then tap them around with a punch or other tool. Cheap and effective - but way too slow for a theft technique.