IGNORED

240z Electric Fuel Pump Installation

Jarvo2

I think the black wire of the green / black pair at the tank is ground. I had my tank out to clean and line it and the way Datsun has the tank situated I think it's pretty much electrically isolated from the car frame/body ground. Not really any metal to metal between the gas tank and the rest of the car. So if the tabs I mentioned before on the tank are for an electric fuel pump to be mounted there it needs to have a ground wire for the pump. Same reason there's a ground wire for the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank.

I metered it yesterday, picked up a couple bullet connectors, hooked it all up. No switch currently at the inside harness... Just jumpered them. I did find, however, maybe it wasn't just the fuel pump. 

I saw the lower section of hose below the filter looked twisted or collapsed. It was actually squishy and sticky. Clogged up and rubber deteriorating. Gad zooks!!! Replaced. Car started right up. So maybe it would've run without the electric pump. But all set now ;)

Trying to post a couple photos but not working right now.

Edited by thumper300zx

Got my tank back in the car for the 2nd time... Accidently buried the wires between the tank and the body on the 1st attempt and had to lower the tank to get my wires out. Now for the pump install. Here's the legend and the pics;
Pic1 - Here's all my parts for mounting the pump to the tabs on the tank. New wire connectors, rubber pad to put between plate and pump, nuts & bolts, etc. My Buddy Dangerous Dan fab'd my mounting plate.
Pic1a.jpg
Pic2 - Pump, filter and nipple on mounting plate with new electrical connector.
Pic2a.jpg
Pic3 - Tabs on tank & new electrical connector
Pic3a.jpg
Pic4 - Plate w/pump mounted to tank - note rubber between pump and plate, hopefully that will keep it pretty quiet
pic4a.jpg
Pic7 - View of pump on plate looking straight up from ground - I think the pump is well enough protected
Pic7a.jpg
Now I'll do the jumper in the console.
Edited by w3wilkes
Couple of corrections

Eureka! I looked and looked for the connector in the location referred to in this image

FP_Wiring1_SML.jpg

and couldn't find it in my series 1 (12/70) 240Z. I finally found it. There's a wire bundle right in front of the console in the passenger foot well  that has a naugahyde snap together boot around it. The blue taped connector for the fuel pump wires was in that bundle of wires.

@Jeff,

From your sig... 300ZX coast to coast when you're 50! Enjoy the trip.

If you turned 50 today I would have had my drivers license for over a year already when you were born. My first 240Z was a '73 that I bought brand new for my 22nd birthday present to myself. It was my daily driver for 20+ years until it rusted to death from Utah winters. I still wasn't tired of the car so now I have the '71, but it's no longer required to be a daily driver.

DSC04050a.jpg

Edited by w3wilkes
  • Like 1

I finally finished mine up. I had mine mounted with all this hose running in a big loop and didn't like it. I made small metal gas line and eliminated all the extra line hanging. Tucked so much better.  Return line is flowing great too. It was plugged about 3 feet in the engine bay. 

I must say my car does run considerably better. I think my old mechanical pump was dying. 

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

10 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

So you're running 2 fuel filters before the pump?

Yes for the time being and I have a third one right before the rail too. I had some rust I wanted to make sure I got out. 

On 8/6/2017 at 11:13 AM, thumper300zx said:

I metered it yesterday, picked up a couple bullet connectors, hooked it all up. No switch currently at the inside harness... Just jumpered them. I did find, however, maybe it wasn't just the fuel pump. 

I saw the lower section of hose below the filter looked twisted or collapsed. It was actually squishy and sticky. Clogged up and rubber deteriorating. Gad zooks!!! Replaced. Car started right up. So maybe it would've run without the electric pump. But all set now ;)

Trying to post a couple photos but not working right now.

Trying photos from PC instead of phone... Good, it worked -- also -- it makes quite a bit of noise where it's mounted. Kind of annoying. I might move the location. Anyone else's loud? Might just be because it's mounted to the tank tabs and it's a big hollow tank (less than 1/4 tank full).

IMG_20170805_140501.jpg

IMG_20170805_140901.jpg

IMG_20170805_141544.jpg

IMG_20170805_141612.jpg

IMG_20170805_141622.jpg

IMG_20170805_164744.jpg

Edited by thumper300zx