IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

So, with the 240Z I had some problems with the differential mount that was fixed ( discussed in another topic ) modifying the later one to the early.

The handbrake was also not releasing properly, so I took of the drums, and cleaned and lubed everything, works fine again. Just some regular service...

Also 1 tire failed or something, I was barely able to drive it, when working on the diff, I decided to re-balance the wheels, then I found out, 1 tire in the back had completely failed, like an egg on it..

Replaced it, car drives smooth again. Will be going into wintersleep next month. Weather is starting to go bad, keep it out of the rain.

IMG_20200924_210707.jpg

IMG_20200924_210716.jpg

IMG-20200927-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20200927-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20200927-WA0019.jpeg

This weekend worked on getting the AOD transmission back under the mustang. So far now it finally seems to hold the power.

The only weak link still might be the direct clutch, will see if it holds. Dan ( From Silverfox Transmission ) said it could handle around 700hp so I should be fine. But you never know what it does under abuse...  if that fails I could go to a 4R70w housing and use the Sonnax direct clutch kit, and put everything that's in the AOD now, also back in the 4R70W, then it would be a guaranteed 900HP proof transmission lol.

The manual valvelbody takes time to get used to, because I need to shift it manually, but it's fun, finally getting the gears to not shift up, only when i want to. Also I got rid of the TV cable set up finally.

--

The Z and the mustang will go into wintersleep this week. Will continue work in spring. The mustang needs the steering column out, because there is alot of slop in there still. I found the problem to be there ( I replaced everything else ).

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went back to that yunkyard today. Took some flashlights with us to do a proper search. Did not find the propshaft for the 5 speed yet but did found a low vin 240z complete engine with E88 head. Going to pick that up Offcourse...

Not much L24 to be found here in europe.

Also a Laurel L24 with E30 head I saw.

IMG-20210730-WA0060.jpg

IMG_20210730_150338.jpg

IMG_20210730_150111.jpg

• Like 1

Picked up the spare L24 today. Casting code 056069 

Also for my Friends 67 chevelle project a rare corvette C2 427 high performance casting code GM 3904351 4 bolt main.

We checked the head numbers these are from a later 427 but we can het the early high compression cast iron heads from the US that combo it would make stock 435 HP.

IMG_20210805_143313.jpg

IMG-20210805-WA0021.jpeg

• Like 4

@bartsscooterservice You guys over there got all the cool stuff. Just at a glance I see:

- non emissions (EURO) balance tube

- single groove balancer pulley

- greenish gray distributor cap (original?)

- original spark plug leads (are they date coded?) it would be great to pictures of the labeling on them.

Overall a great score.

image.png

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, bartsscooterservice said:

@CanTechZ. I dont know about the spark plug wires if they are oem. Could have been changed in all those years. Will have a look if I see some labels. It's got the E88 head so it's a from a euro 240z for sure. And like you say the balancer tube gives it away to. Did not even think of that.

7 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

@CanTechZ. I dont know about the spark plug wires if they are oem. Could have been changed in all those years. Will have a look if I see some labels

It would definitely be worth checking, if they are original they would have the manufacturers name, Yazaki, a year of mfg and some symbol graphics. In early 1971 the graphics changed from yellow to white.  the style of the connector boots at the distributor cap look look original to me. I am very interested to see your findings.

Here is a discussion I started that shows the details and differences: