IGNORED

A/C for 240z

Jacob M

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a 240z with working A/C. My understanding is that A/C was a dealer installed option. My question is: Is it better to wait out for a 240z with working A/C, or find a clean Z and install an A/C?

Also, if if I find a clean Z without A/C, where can I locate an A/C kit, and how much would the installation cost?

Thanks,

Jacob

Waiting to find a Z with working A/C could be a mixed blessing.....depending on how long, and how well, the A/C continues to work after you buy the car. Aftermarket A/C kits are available from a few sources, including MSA in Orange, CA. Kits run about $1,000 and plan on several hundred more to have one installed, depending on hourly labor rates.

I replaced my original A/C a couple years ago with a MSA kit and the total for kit & installation was about $1,600 - a little more than four times what the original A/C cost in 1972.

Good luck with the search!

Dennis

Hi Jacob. Do some searching on the site here Look in the forums) and you will find all of the answers to your questions. Bottom line: the old factory systems weren't all that effective unless it is a 260/280 system. A system like VintageAir (which replaces the heater assembly) works much better. I had the old-style system in my '73 back in '75 and it was marginal at best. In my current '73 I have a system from HotRodAir (since gone out of business, but very similar to VintageAir) and it works very well.

Cheers, Mike

I agree. find the best Z you can, regardless of A/C. Any A/C kit you put in today will be superior to the vintage kits. In fact, even if the Z you select has A/C, I'd plan on updating it with modern parts anyway.

Thank you all so much!

Dennis--I called MSA and unfortunately they are are sold out of the A/C kits. It is unknown when they will be selling A/C kits again.

Mike-- Is the Vintage Air System a universal kit or is it made specifically for the 240Z?

Arne-- I'm going to look for a clean Z, and then look into a modern A/C unit.

ZCurves-- Thanks for your advice. I will keep it in mind, but I feel installing a new unit is the route I'll most likely be taking.

Jarvo--Thanks for posting that info. Its really beneficial!

Edited by Jacob M
grammar

I live in Florida and I can do without A/C if it does not cause other temperature issues. Personally I don't feel that A/C and carburettors work very well in uunison. But to each his own. In addition to the heat issue here the power drain I could do without.