IGNORED

Gas Tank Rust

bhermes

I am going to be using the Red Kote within the next day or so on my tank. All other prep work is complete just waiting for tank to dry. The only real concern I have is cloggging the pick up line. The instructions on the Red Kote says not to blow air into the tank for at least 60 minutes. I am concerned that this stuff will have already set up and clogged the line. I am considering blowing air into the pick up line prior to the 60 minutes.

Comments?

Side topic: I have being trying to measure ressitance on my fuel snding unit. Not sure if this is not been working or my gauge is bad but gauge stuck at about 1/2 full. Althouhg I am having trouble getting consistant readings, in air, I am getting ranges from about 20 ohms to 90 ohms as I move the float through its cycle.

Comments?

Did the gauge get stuck as the tank went from full towards empty so the gauge would read full okay but not go lower than a half tank reading as the tank emptied? If you get wires with alligator clips from radio shack you can then set the sending unit on the ground, set it for 90 ohms, connect it to the wires it normally connects to without disturbing the sending unit, turn on the ignition to see if your gauge reads empty as it should if the sending unit is showing 90 ohms (might double check to see if the sending unit is still showing 90 ohms as an open circuit will also give a reading of an empty tank). I used long enough wires that I could sit in the car to do that test. Give the gauge time to respond that thing takes forever it seems to get to a reading. Inconsistent reading with the ohmmeter is an indication of needing replacement IMO unless you want to try fixing the one you have. There are other postings on fixing it.

Edited by Mikes Z car

I have no idea. I bought the car about 1 year ago and the gauge was stuck. I really would like to get to the gauge but it appears to be a little difficult. Side note, none of my dash lights are working either. The map light does work. Just putting off the dash thing until after the tank thing but may need to address now.

I am considering blowing air into the pick up line prior to the 60 minutes.

I believe that if you limit the compressed air to the pickup lines you will be fine. Just don't blast it at 100lbs for long. I think that Red Coat doesn't want air blown into the tank because it might thin out the coating in places. It is prudent to ensure the lines are not plugged up.

I agree, a wire is good enough when it starts to set up. Get a mirror on a stick and look inside as to where the tubes end up, more than likely they will be fine. It is the small spaces at the bottom of the baffle that can get clogged, they allow fuel to go from one side to the other. I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the baffle just to make sure fuel would flow between the both sides. Used a magnet on a stick to remove the shavings.

Bonzi Lon

Guys, after you are done coating the tank, don't forget to put a clear filter between the tank and the fuel lines to help catch crap that was left behind during the cleaning and coating (yes, there will be some...). Change the filter after the first tank. I found this to be a great way to protect all of the new fuel system components I installed downstream from the tank on my Z.

Just finished applying Red Kote to my tank. The stuff finrmed up a little quicker than I though it might but no problems. Just note that you really need to get the stuff moved around as quickly as possible.

One note of interest and curious if anyone else has experienced this but I only used one quart of the stuff and basically none drained back out. It sucked all of the Red Kote up. After about 15-20 minutes of moving the tank around I removed the tape covering all the holes and a few drops came out here and there.

Otherwise I will be reinstalling over the next couple days and the waiting game begins. I plan on waiting a couple weeks and would like to wait longer.

Can someone send me a picture of where they added the clear fliter.

Just remember I grew up a jock and have no car experience other than driving a 280z way to fast back in the late 70's and eraly 80's. Drove constantly at 120-130 mph on the highway (occassionally 145 mph). If you need a driver I may be able to handle that but repair is a new thing. Bare with me.

Thanks to all.

That sounds great! I ran down stairs to take a picture of the Fram G3 filter location and quickly realized the cars not here :stupid:. The line coming straight from the tank is like a 3/8's hose and the one going into the pump is smaller so be ready for that, maybe have some different size clamps. Put it between the tank and the fuel pump. I use needle nose vise grips to clamp off the line straight out of the tank so you won't get doused with fuel, but wrap a rag or use two small popcicle like pieces of wood so you won't tear into the hose with the vise grips. You can buy those filters at Walmart for $3 or $4 bucks. I don't have a pic of the tank filter but here is my glass filter right before the fuel rail. Never has it been dirty or pink looking. That G3 plus the OE filter, which is huge, are enough I just overkill everything. Glad you got that done without any problems. Saved $$$$.

post-24724-14150821161079_thumb.jpg

Purchased G3 filter and ready to begin reinstalling things. I am a little confused on the tubing from the tank to the G3 filter and G3 filter to the pump. The filter fittings are smaller than the tank and pump fittings at least I believe. My plan was to use the tubing that came with the G3 filter from the tank to the filter (if I can stretch over the tank fittings) and then use the current tube from the filter to the pump cutting some off to replace the added length of the filter and short tube. Will the current tubing which is bigger seal properly over the smaller filter fitting?

Maybe I got the tubing thing all wrong. Comments?

I'm pretty sure I used the same hose that was there. I remember one of the hoses was larger in diameter and wasn't sure if it would seal off, but it did. I wish I could put up a picture for you but my car's not available for glamour shots right now, sorry. I just googled images for it. Check these out.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Fram+G3+on+280Z&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38093640&biw=1280&bih=620&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Li2eUOqPLMmr2AW1uYG4CA

Edited by siteunseen